| refer to caption |
Levy in 2017
|Born:||March 26, 1987|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Milwaukee (WI) Vincent|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 76|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
DeAndre Levy (born March 26, 1987) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Wisconsin, and was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft.
Levy was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he attended Vincent High School and was a letterman in football, basketball, and track. As a senior, he recorded 84 tackles, five sacks, and four forced fumbles as a linebacker and 12 receptions for 260 yards and three touchdowns as a tight end.
In November 2006, Levy inadvertently collided with nearly 80-year-old Penn State coach Joe Paterno on the sideline during a game, fracturing Paterno's shin bone and damaging knee ligaments. Subsequent to the Penn State child sex abuse scandal, Levy now calls that incident "my proudest moment in college". In response, 21 former Penn State football players signed a letter condemning his comments.
Levy was named second-team All-Big Ten in 2007. In 2008, he earned honorable mention All-Big Ten, and was also awarded the team's Tom Wiesner Award, given to a senior football player who most exemplifies the leadership and courage.In addition to twice winning the Big 10 Player of the Week, in 2008, he was also awarded the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week on September 13 for his performance against Fresno St.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 in||236 lb||9 ft 11 in||19 reps|
In 2010, Levy was limited to only 11 games, missing Detroit's Week 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 games. For the season, Levy recorded 72 tackles, 2 interceptions, and 4 pass-breakups. In Week 14, against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers, Levy had 8 tackles and an interception of Packers QB Matt Flynn in the endzone in a 7-3 Lions win. In Week 16, against the Miami Dolphins, Levy returned an interception of Chad Henne 30 yards for the game-winning touchdown in a 34-27 win.
In his third season in 2011, Levy started all 16 games for the Lions, recording 109 tackles, a sack, an interception, and a forced fumble. In 2012, Levy started 13 games for the Lions, recording 82 tackles, and 1 interception. In 2013, Levy started all 16 games for the Lions, recording 119 tackles, and 6 interceptions. In 2014, Levy started all 16 games for the Lions, recording 151 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 1 interception.
- Fittipaldo, Ray (November 5, 2006). "Paterno leaves field after taking hit". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/psu/paterno-leaves-field-after-taking-hit-457966/. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
- Michael Rothstein (November 17, 2016). "'Proudest college moment' for DeAndre Levy: Joe Paterno's broken leg". espn.com. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18071454/detroit-lions-lb-deandre-levy-says-proudest-moment-college-career-was-breaking-joe-paterno-leg. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Rubin, Mike. "DeAndre Levy: The Most Interesting Man in the NFL". Men's Journal. http://www.mensjournal.com/sports/articles/deandre-levy-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-nfl-w448992.
- "Archived copy". http://www.detroitlions.com/team/roster/DeAndre-Levy/99cae49a-298f-454b-a16d-0d88dff0bac7.
- Detroit Nabs Wisconsin's DeAndre Levy
- "DeAndre Levy agrees to contract extension with Detroit Lions". http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/08/05/detroit-lions-deandre-levy/31169661/.
- Levy, DeAndre. "Man Up". http://www.theplayerstribune.com/deandre-levy-sexual-assault-awareness/. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- "DeAndre Levy continues to miss games". http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/565177/deandre-levy.
- "Lions release LB DeAndre Levy". March 9, 2017. http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/Lions-release-LB-DeAndre-Levy/6ad4aa3c-1b39-4027-a55c-004b1acdd714.