|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:June 6, 1984|
|Place of birth: Berlin, Vermont|
|Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||Weight: 201 lb (91 kg)|
|College: New Hampshire|
|Undrafted in 2007|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Pittsburgh Power|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
|Stats at ArenaFan.com|
David Ball (born June 6, 1984 in Berlin, Vermont) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He played college football for the New Hampshire Wildcats, and holds the I-AA record for touchdown receptions.
- 1 Early years
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 Motivational speaker
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Ball attended Spaulding High School in Barre, VT and played football there. Ball attended Worcester Academy for a year and was a post-graduate student and a letterman in football, basketball, and track. He was named the school's Athlete of the Year. Also won the NEPSAC Class A title in basketball for Worcester Academy. Played with Colt Brennan at Worcester. He set the record for the NEPSAC Class B Тrack and Field Championship in the High Jump, with a jump of 6 feet 9 inches.
Ball broke the Division I-AA record for touchdown receptions, previously set by Jerry Rice at Mississippi Valley State University, on October 14, 2006 versus the University of Richmond, and went on to score 7 more for a new record of 58 touchdowns. He also approached two other I-AA receiving records set by Rice, and has been nicknamed "White Rice":
- 2nd Most career receiving yards: 4,655 (Rice had 4,693)
- Most games with at least 100 receiving yards: 27 (Rice had 24)
- Most Career TD Receptions: 58 in 50 games (Rice had 50 in 41 games)
Although a standout at the University of New Hampshire, Ball was cited by NFL scouts as not possessing an NFL-caliber combination of size and speed, as well as facing poor competition at the D-IAA level. He subsequently went undrafted in the 2007 NFL Draft. He signed with the Bears as a free agent, joining his classmate, Corey Graham who was drafted by Chicago in the fifth round.
During 2007 pre-season play, Ball had 6 receptions for a total gain of 64 yards.
Ball was released by Chicago on September 1, 2007 in order to reach the NFL's mandatory 53-man roster limit. He was re-signed to the Bears' practice squad on September 2, 2007. Ball was released from the practice squad on September 18, 2007, to make room for P. J. Pope on the practice squad. He was re-signed to the practice squad on September 21, 2007, and dropped again on September 24, 2007, to make room for Josh Gattis.
New York Jets
For their December 30, 2007 game against the Kansas City Chiefs, the New York Jets activated Ball to their game roster for the first time in Ball's career. But, he did not appear in the game.
In a pre-season game on August 28, 2008 he had two receptions for a total of 15 yards including a touchdown, with the Jets winning over Philadelphia, 27-20.
On August 31, Ball was cut by the Jets in the final preseason cuts.
First stint with Tiger-Cats
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The Blue Bombers signed Ball on June 7, 2010. He was released on June 30, 2010.
Second stint with Tiger-Cats
The Tiger-Cats re-signed Ball on August 11, 2010 to a practice roster agreement.
The Power signed Ball on November 22, 2010. He was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list on March 2, 2011. He was activated on March 24, 2011.
David Ball created D.R.E.A.M. Sports Productions LLC to speak to groups about making a dream become reality.
- Bears sign CB Jimoh
- Mayer, Larry (2007-09-01). "Bears place Bazuin on IR, cut 19 to reach roster limit". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=3770. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Mayer, Larry (2007-09-02). "Bears re-sign seven players to practice squad". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3773. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- Mayer, Larry (2007-09-18). "Bears sign Pope to practice squad, release Ball". http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=3844. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Mayer, Larry (2007-09-21). "Dirk Johnson, David Ball back with Bears". http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=3856. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Chicago Bears Transactions
- Ball signs with Jets
- Vt.'s Ball bound for Montreal
- Ticats Sign Import Receivers Ball, Currie and Ward
- CFL Offseason Transactions
- Erie Explosion Add Record Breaking WR David Ball
- "Torn ACL For WR Benn; Ball Released". August 6, 2013. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Torn-ACL-For-WR-Benn-Ball-Released/b2219e54-e7a0-4cb3-ac42-2d56cf38063b. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Burr and Burton Hosts Speaker David Ball