|Michigan Wolverines — No.|
|Date of birth: c. 1946|
|Height: 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)||Weight: 210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
|High school: Fairmont (OH)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* First-team All-Big Ten (1966)
Dave Fisher (born c. 1946) is a former American football player. He played at the fullback position for the University of Michigan from 1964 to 1966. He was a first-team All-Big Ten player and an Academic All-American in 1966.
Fisher grew up in Kettering, Ohio, and attended Fairmont High School. He played for the Michigan Wolverines football team from 1964 to 1966. As a junior in 1965, he gained 575 rushing yards, seventh best in the Big Ten Conference. Despite sustaining a shoulder injury in an October 29, 1966 game against Wisconsin, Fisher gained 672 rushing yards in 1966, fourth best in the Big Ten. His average of 5.1 yards per rushing carry in 1966 was second best in the Big Ten. In October 1966, he rushed for a career-high 120 yards in a 22-21 loss to Bob Griese's Purdue Boilermakers. He was selected by the conference coaches for the United Press International as a first-team back on the 1966 All-Big Ten Conference football team.
Fisher was an engineering student at Michigan. He was selected as an Academic All-American in 1966, received the Big Ten Conference Medal of Honor, and was one of 11 athletes in 1966 who received an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship. Fisher used the scholarship to study toward a master's degree which he received in 1971.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- "U-M's Fisher Is Injured". Ironwood Daily Globe: p. 10. November 1, 1966. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3608224/um_fisher_is_injured/.
- "Jourdan Lewis". SR/College Football (Sports Reference LLC). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jourdan-lewis-1.html. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "Eight Spartans, Six From Michigan All Big Ten". The Holland, Michigan Evening Sentinel: p. 17. November 23, 1966. https://www.newspapers.com/image/34649945/?terms=griese%2Bdetwiler%2B%22upi%22.
- "University of Michigan Football Academic All-Americans". University of Michigan. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042709aaa.html. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "U-M's Dave Fisher Honored by NCAA". The Holland Evening Sentinel: p. 4. December 21, 1966. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3608081/um_dave_fisher_honored_by_ncaa/.
- "Dave Fisher Wins Award". Record-Eagle, Traverse City, MI: p. 19. December 21, 1966. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3608101/dave_fisher_wins_award/.