| refer to caption |
Tapp with the Washington Redskins in 2013
|Born:||September 13, 1984|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||270 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||Chesapeake (VA) Deep Creek|
|NFL Draft:||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 63|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Darryl Anthony Tapp (born September 13, 1984) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the second round (62nd overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Virginia Tech.
Tapp attended Deep Creek High School in Chesapeake, Virginia where he lettered in football, basketball, and track and field. His senior year, Tapp set a school record with 15 sacks and made 89 tackles and was named Second-team All-State. In all, he recorded 22 career sacks while helping Deep Creek to a 34-4 record during his three varsity seasons. He was one of just three juniors to start on offense and defense for Deep Creek in 2000 when he played in all 14 games and posted eight quarterback sacks and earned First-team All-District.
Tapp played as a true freshman in 2002 at Virginia Tech, mostly on special teams. Against Virginia, he returned a punt blocked by Justin Hamilton for a touchdown and for Tapp's first collegiate score. On the season, he recorded nine solo tackles and 12 assists, three quarterback hurries and a pass broken up. Tapp set a position record for defensive ends with a 660-pound back squat during the spring. He also had a 415-pound bench press and a 340-pound push jerk, a 530-pound back squat, a 32½-inch vertical jump and a 4.71 time in the forty yard dash. In 2003, he compiled 58 total tackles—nine tackles for loss, including three sacks and 17 quarterback hurries and a forced fumble. In 2004, Tapp won the starting job, taking over for Nathaniel Adibi as the boundary defensive end and started all 13 games, registered 60 tackles were 16.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks and had 23 quarterback hurries, two fumble recoveries, a forced fumble, a pass break up, an interception and a blocked kick as was named First-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference. During his senior year in 2005, he started all thirteen games make 48 tackles (14.5 for losses) and 10 sacks and as First-team All-ACC again. His accomplishments for the Hokies led to his induction into the Virginia Tech Sports Hall of Fame in 2018.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 1½ in||270 lb||4.80 s||1.66 s||2.85 s||4.48 s||7.32 s||33 in||9 ft 1 in||27 rep||22|
Tapp was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the second round (63rd overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. As a rookie, Tapp was a special teamer and part of the Seahawks' defensive end rotation. He recorded 33 tackles, three sacks, one forced fumble, one interception, and one defensive touchdown. In 2007, he saw a lot more playing time, as the Seahawks' former starting left end Grant Wistrom was cut from the team, and the right end Bryce Fisher was traded to the Titans. As a result, he started all 16 games for the Seahawks with new arrival Patrick Kerney as the other defensive end. In 2007, Tapp made 49 tackles, seven sacks, and one interception.
On October 21, 2007, Tapp had four sacks and forced a fumble against the St. Louis Rams, a personal best. Two weeks after, Tapp had an interception against Cleveland Browns' quarterback Derek Anderson.
On March 16, 2010, the Seahawks traded Tapp to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Chris Clemons and a fourth-round draft pick in 2010. Tapp was signed by the Eagles to a three-year contract after passing his physical on March 18. On September 26, 2010, Tapp recorded his first sack as an Eagle, bringing down Jacksonville Jaguars' quarterback David Garrard. On January 9, 2011, Tapp recorded his first-career postseason sack, bringing down Green Bay Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
On March 28, 2013, Tapp signed a one-year deal with the Washington Redskins. On September 29, 2013, Tapp recorded his first sack as a member of the Redskins, tackling Oakland Raiders' quarterback Matt Flynn.
On March 13, 2014, Tapp signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Lions. Tapp was released on August 30, 2014, from the Lions. On March 2, 2015, the Lions re-signed Tapp to a one-year contract. In 2015, Tapp earned the Detroit Lions-Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association-Pro Football Writers Association (Detroit Chapter) Media-Friendly Good Guy Award.
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tapp has been long-time friends with retired cornerback DeAngelo Hall since childhood, the two having gone to the same school from elementary school throughout college and being teammates. They would become teammates again in their professional career when they both played for the Washington Redskins in 2013.
- "Tapp on Pro-Football-Reference". pro-football-reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TappDa20.htm.
- "Now that bites: Seahawks' Tapp not pleased by Rodgers' allegation". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8153b498/article/now-that-bites-seahawks-tapp-not-pleased-by-rodgers-allegation.
- "Eagles add Tapp to defensive line". ESPN.com. March 16, 2010. http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5001492. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- Maaddi, Rob (March 18, 2010). "Eagles sign DE Tapp to 3-year contract". msnbc.com. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35932733/ns/sports-nfl/. Retrieved March 18, 2010.[dead link]
- "Defense, Smart Offense Lead Day In Big Win". September 26, 2010. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Defense-Smart-Offense-Lead-Day-In-Big-Win/F70A332C-17A4-43FB-A9FB-F9E3C8CC2690.
- "Eagles defense, sack, 1-yd loss". http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d81d93ea8/Eagles-defense-sack-1-yd-loss.
- Tinsman, Brian (March 28, 2013). "Redskins Sign Linebacker Darryl Tapp". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Sign-Linebacker-Darryl-Tapp/061b90f6-42a5-4a6e-a798-df6e0b5da26f. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 30, 2013). "Redskins-Raiders Monday Stats Pack". http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Raiders-Monday-Stats-Pack/8a06d97a-8304-4c11-8948-942505d1862b.
- "Detroit Lions sign ex-Washington DE Darryl Tapp". USAToday.com. March 13, 2014. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/13/detroit-lions-sign-ex-washington-de-darryl-tapp/6390785/. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Corbett, Jim (August 30, 2014). "NFL roster cuts: Champ Bailey, Nate Burleson among victims". https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/30/roster-cuts-53-man-limit/14861129/.
- Twentyman, Tim (March 2, 2015). "Lions re-sign defensive end Darryl Tapp". Detroit Lions. http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Lions-re-sign-defensive-end-Darryl-Tapp/d0e1a4c5-487d-4d75-b833-0943a9631431. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Patra, Kevin (July 6, 2016). "Darryl Tapp signs deal with New Orleans Saints". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000673149/article/darryl-tapp-signs-deal-with-new-orleans-saints.
- Gantt, Darin. "Saints cut Khalif Barnes, Travaris Cadet in getting roster to 53". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/03/saints-cut-khalif-barnes-travaris-cadet-in-getting-roster-to-53/.
- "Saints Re-Sign CB Sterling Moore and DE Darryl Tapp To One-Year Contracts". March 23, 2017. http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Saints-Re-Sign-CB-Sterling-Moore-and-DE-Darryl-Tapp-To-One-Year-Contracts/9132f4e6-f4ce-459b-891d-ea4f7aff9c6a.
- "New Orleans Saints announce roster moves". September 5, 2017. http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-announce-roster-moves/b3ecc654-f060-4caf-a675-5a07a52f6ace.
- Williams, Charean (September 20, 2017). "Saints promote David Parry, re-sign Darryl Tapp". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/20/saints-promote-david-parry-re-sign-darryl-tapp/.
- Smith, Scott (October 25, 2017). "With Spence Headed to IR, Bucs Sign DE Tapp". https://www.buccaneers.com/news/with-spence-headed-to-ir-bucs-sign-de-tapp-19640004.
- Smith, Scott (November 28, 2017). "Bucs Waive Stocker, Tapp". http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Bucs-Waive-Stocker-Tapp/90665e97-2566-47d7-bb3e-8a2bb2ab0db5.
- Riddick, JR (August 3, 2013). "Darryl Tapp's homecoming with Redskins includes being reunited with Hokies teammate DeAngelo Hall". DailyPress.com. http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-redskins-feature-tapp-20130803-story.html#. Retrieved August 11, 2018.