Young with the Washington Redskins in 2015
|Date of birth:April 8, 1987|
|Place of birth: North Amityville, New York|
|Undrafted in 2009|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Washington Redskins ( 2009– 2015)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Darrel Young (born April 8, 1987) is a former American football fullback. He was signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent as a linebacker prospect in 2009. He played college football at Villanova University.
Young attended and played college football at Villanova from 2005–2007. In the 2005 season, he had 13 tackles, three sacks, two tackles for loss, a pass break-up, and a blocked kick. In the 2006 season, he played in 11 games and had 44 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, and two blocked kicks. In the 2007 season, he played in 11 games and had 78 total tackles, four tackles for loss, one interception, and two pass break-ups. In the 2008 season, 73 total tackles, nine tackles for a loss, two sacks, and three pass breakups.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11 in||244 lb||4.59 s||1.56 s||2.58 s||4.27 s||6.94 s||32 in||9 ft 4 in||24 rep|
On May 4, 2009, Young signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent. He was waived by on September 5, 2009, but added to the team's practice squad two days later. Young was released on September 24, 2009.
Young signed a futures contract with the Washington Redskins on January 5, 2010. When he reported for camp, Young was surprised to learn that he had been converted to a fullback. Head coach Mike Shanahan stated, "Just the way he hit, we needed some fullbacks and we thought since he had good hands he might be the ideal candidate," which was the reason for Young's transition. The position wasn't completely foreign to Young, who was recruited to Villanova as a running back before he was moved to linebacker. He ended up making the Redskins' final 53-man roster as the backup fullback after all cuts were made. On November 15, 2010, Young scored his first career receiving touchdown, a three-yard reception from Donovan McNabb, in a 59–28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Young was named the starting fullback for the Washington Redskins at the beginning of training camp in 2011. He scored his first career rushing touchdown in Week 15 in a 23–10 victory over the New York Giants. In Week 16 against the Minnesota Vikings, Young had a costly holding penalty called on him that nullified Brandon Banks's 59-yard touchdown run. Overall, in the 2011 season, he finished with 15 receptions for 146 receiving yards and six carries for 33 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown.
Despite missing every preseason game, Young was able to start in the season opener against the New Orleans Saints. In the Week 6 38–26 win against the Minnesota Vikings, he caught a six-yard pass from Robert Griffin III for a touchdown. He scored his second touchdown for the season in a 31–6 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles after catching another six-yard pass in the endzone. Overall, in the 2012 season, he finished with 14 carries for 60 rushing yards to go along with eight receptions for 109 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns.
Set to be a restricted free agent in the 2013 season, Young re-signed with the Redskins to a $6.2 million, three-year contract on March 9, 2013. On November 3, 2013, Young recorded three rushing touchdowns, the last being the game-winning score in overtime against the San Diego Chargers. He scored a 62-yard touchdown reception in a 24–16 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 11. Overall, he finished the 2013 season with 12 carries for 41 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns to go along with four receptions for 71 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown.
In the season opener against the Houston Texans, Young was the only one to score for the Redskins with a rushing touchdown in the 17–6 loss. In the Week 2 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, he contributed to the 41-10 win with a 20-yard touchdown reception. Young scored two rushing touchdowns in the 27-24 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 16 that took the Eagles out of playoff contention. Overall, he finished the 2014 season with 11 receptions for 81 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns to go along with nine carries for 22 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns.
In the 2015 season, Young's role in the offense was lessened. On the season, he totaled six carries for ten rushing yards to go along with six receptions for 22 receiving yards. After the season, he was not retained by the team.
- Stromberg, Jason. "Former coach praises LI's Young of NFL" (in en). Newsday. https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/darrel-young-s-former-coach-at-amityville-has-high-praise-for-star-player-1.6517671.
- "Amityville Memorial H. S. honors Darrel Young" (in en). Amityville Record. http://www.amityvillerecord.com/news/2013-04-10/Schools%257CSports/Amityville_Memorial_H_S_honors_Darrel_Young.html.
- "Darrel Young - 2007 Football Roster - Villanova University" (in en). https://villanova.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1690.
- Darrel Young, DS #46 ILB, Villanova
- "Darrel Young Signs Free Agent Contract with Washington Redskins". VillaNova.com. May 4, 2009. http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050409aaa.html. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Reid, Jason (September 5, 2009). "Alridge, Bridges Among Redskins' Cuts (Updated)". WashingtonPost.com. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/alridge-bridges-among-redskins.html. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Redskins Sign Nine Players to Futures Contracts". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Sign-Nine-Players-to-Futures-Contracts/49B653C9-5AEA-4C24-9A1F-9E7C5481C8C2. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- Tenorio, Paul (August 17, 2010). "Training Camp Tracker". The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/16/AR2010081605086.html.
- Campbell, Rich (August 8, 2011). "Redskins’ Darrel Young gets inspiration from across the world". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/8/inspiration-came-from-across-the-world/?page=all. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Darrel Young Named Starter At Fullback For Washington Redskins". thenovablog.com. http://www.thenovablog.com/2011/8/10/2356301/darrel-young-named-starter-at-fullback-for-washington-redskins. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- "Darrel Young’s first rushing TD comes against childhood team". WashingtonPost.com. December 18, 2011. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/darrel-youngs-first-rushing-td-comes-against-childhood-team/2011/12/18/gIQAT1gE3O_blog.html. Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- Steinberg, Dan (December 24, 2011). "Redskins-Vikings best and worst". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/redskins-vikings-best-and-worst/2011/12/24/gIQAOqX2FP_blog.html. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Darrel Young 2011 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounDa01/gamelog/2011/.
- "Washington Redskins at New Orleans Saints - September 9th, 2012" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201209090nor.htm.
- Tinsman, Brian (October 15, 2012). "Stats Recap: Redskins-Vikings". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Stats-Recap-Redskins-Vikings/bd643088-66a8-4940-b31d-698ac5e89932. Retrieved October 15, 2012.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 18, 2012). "Redskins Stifle Eagles At Home, Win 31-6". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Stifle-Eagles-At-Home-Win-31-6/c08163cb-3a66-4d88-a57c-4fd320376d85. Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- "Darrel Young 2012 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounDa01/gamelog/2012/.
- Keim, John (March 9, 2013). "Redskins re-sign Logan Paulsen, Darrel Young". WashingtonTimes.com. http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-re-sign-logan-paulsen-darrel-young/article/2523795. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Jones, Mike (March 9, 2013). "Redskins re-sign fullback Darrel Young". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/03/09/redskins-re-sign-fullback-darrel-young/. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Zappulla, Jordan (November 4, 2013). "Darrel Young: Sunday's Deserving, Unlikely Hero". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Darrel-Young-Sundays-Deserving-Unlikely-Hero/6ceacfe6-74ed-445f-bd00-310bd3a40a0a. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Czarda, Stephen (November 19, 2013). "Young Continues Growth As A Playmaker". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Young-Continues-Growth-As-A-Playmaker/7e21de58-b6de-4b73-b8b5-5ba7d13ee00f. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Darrel Young 2013 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounDa01/gamelog/2013/.
- "Redskins-Texans Monday Stats Pack". Redskins.com. September 8, 2014. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Texans-Monday-Stats-Pack/deec51b0-ace7-4e22-9a74-b7407cac8437. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Redskins-Jaguars Monday Stats Pack". Redskins.com. September 15, 2014. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Jaguars-Monday-Stats-Pack/3695500d-991f-4334-89fa-e21860cf7e0f. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Redskins-Eagles Sunday Stats Pack". Redskins.com. December 21, 2014. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Eagles-Sunday-Stats-Pack/a3390fbd-f9de-417b-9cd2-17a32d3dbaa1. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Darrel Young 2014 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounDa01/gamelog/2014/.
- "Darrel Young 2015 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounDa01/gamelog/2015/.
- "What happens after you get let go? Darrel Young cried, and then started over" (in en). Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/08/what-happens-after-you-get-cut-darrel-young-cried-and-then-started-over/.
- "Goldson cut by Redskins after 110-tackle year" (in en). ESPN.com. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14921930/dashon-goldson-released-washington-redskins.
- Machir, Troy (August 3, 2016). "Former Redskins FB Darrel Young Finds a Landing Spot". CSNMidAtlantic.com. http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/former-redskins-fb-darrel-young-finds-landing-spot. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry. "Bears pare roster to 80 with 10 cuts". http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-rostermoves/Bears-pare-roster-to-80-with-10-cuts/90404dfd-b54d-46dd-bc1d-9c18b8c157ba.
- "Panthers sign four more to future contracts". January 4, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170902231809/http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-sign-four-more-to-future-contracts/262dcfb2-2143-4589-a7d8-fd9f15d8bfe1.
- Henson, Max (September 2, 2017). "Panthers trim roster to 53". Archived from the original on September 20, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170920201032/https://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-trim-roster-to-53/04544b8e-4a01-4568-9141-9ed61d2d4c51.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darrel Young.|