Manning in 2012.
|No. 38 Houston Texans|
|Strong safety / Return specialist|
|Date of birth:August 9, 1982|
|Place of birth: Corsicana, Texas|
|High School: Corsicana (TX)|
|Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)||Weight: 211 lb (96 kg)|
|College: Abilene Christian|
|NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42|
|Debuted in 2006 for the Chicago Bears|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Kick return yards||3,085|
2006 NFL Draft
Manning was ranked as the No. 9 safety available in the 2006 NFL Draft by Sports Illustrated. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears with the 42nd pick from Abilene Christian University, which made him the first player from a non-Division I school to be selected that year (as well as the second highest pick in the history of the school's football program, after Johnny Perkins in 1977).
Midway through the 2008 NFL season, Manning took over Devin Hester's duties as the Bears' kick returner. On December 11, 2008, he returned a kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown, making it the first regular season opening kickoff returned for a touchdown for the Bears since 1972. A week before this touchdown, Manning picked off David Garrard's pass on the Jaguars opening drive, and returned it to the Jaguars five-yard line.
Manning led the league in return average and number of 30+-yard returns, despite only starting half the season. Manning was Bears starting nickelback in 2008, and competed with Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Kevin Payne, and Craig Steltz for starting free safety. Manning won the starting position before the start of the Bears 2009 summer training camp. On passing downs, Manning played nickelback, while Steltz filled in for him at free safety. Due to Manning's larger role on defense, the Bears have chosen second year wide receiver Johnny Knox to take over kick returning duties.
On October 17, 2012, Manning was fined $15,000 after an unnecessary roughness penalty in which he punched Packers offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse.
- Short Work for Manning
- [dead link]
- "Bears, Manning beat Jaguars". MyCentralJersey.com. 2008-12-07. http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20081207/SPORTS0301/812070326/1119. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Dickerson, Jeff (2009-07-22). "Position battle: Safety". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4347595&name=dickerson. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "Bears do secondary shuffle". Chicago Sun-Times. 2009-07-29. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1690731,Bears-safety-29.article. Retrieved 2009-07-30.[dead link]
- Mayer, Larry (2009-09-30). "Why is Johnny Knox returning kickoffs instead of Danieal Manning?". chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ChalkTalkStory.asp?STORY_ID=6158. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Texans improve 'D' with deals with Joseph, Manning July 28, 2011
- Houston Texans of to franchise-best 4-0 start with 38-14 win over Tennessee Titans September 30, 2012.