Herron with the Buffalo Bills in 2016
|No. 34, 36, 38, 47|
|Date of birth:March 21, 1989|
|Place of birth: Warren, Ohio|
|College: Ohio State|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 6 / Pick: 191|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Cincinnati Bengals ( 2012)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Daniel "Boom" Herron (born March 21, 1989) is a former American football running back. Herron played football at Warren G. Harding High School in Warren, Ohio, and later Ohio State University. He was drafted in the 6th round of the 2012 NFL draft by the Cincinnati Bengals.
- 1 Early career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 Career statistics
- 5 Personal life
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early career[edit | edit source]
As he grew into upper class, Herron starred as the featured running back in high school for the Warren G. Harding Raiders. He amassed his best season as a Junior, rushing for over 1,500 yards and 17 touchdowns. When asked what he thought of his player, then Harding coach Thom Mcdaniels replied, "I wouldn’t trade “Boom” for any running back in Ohio." Coming out of high school, he ran a 40 yard dash in the mid 4.5's and boasted an impressive 37 inch vertical. Scout.com had him ranked as the 27th best backfield recruit in the country.
College career[edit | edit source]
Herron spent five years at Ohio State University. He was a four-time letterman. In 2008, he struggled to get playing time over future NFL back Beanie Wells and again in 2009 splitting time with Brandon Saine in an offense heavily centered around the running talents of quarterback Terrelle Pryor. In 2010, Herron delivered as the starter, totaling 1,155 yards and 16 touchdowns. Later that year, just a week before the team's appearance in their bowl game, it became apparent that Herron, amongst other top Buckeye players, was facing substantial NCAA sanctions.
On December 23, 2010, Herron and four other Ohio State players were suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season, but were still allowed to play in that year's Sugar Bowl, which they won 31-26 in a game against Arkansas. Herron was said to have sold a jersey, pants, and shoes that he had previously worn in a game. The other suspended players were quarterback Terrelle Pryor, wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams, and defensive end Soloman Thomas.
On October 3, 2011, in an unrelated story, Herron was suspended for one more week due to being overpaid during a summer job in the Cleveland area. Despite the six-week suspension, Herron was elected a team captain by his teammates and went on to rush for 675 yards and three touchdowns the remainder of the season.
Collegiate statistics[edit | edit source]
|2008||Ohio State Buckeyes||11||89||439||4.9||6|
|2009||Ohio State Buckeyes||10||153||633||3.9||7|
|2010||Ohio State Buckeyes||13||216||1,155||5.3||16|
|2011||Ohio State Buckeyes||7||135||678||5.0||3|
Professional career[edit | edit source]
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 10 in||213 lb||4.57 s||1.56 s||2.60 s||4.04 s||6.97 s||35 in||9 ft 9 in||22 rep|
Cincinnati Bengals[edit | edit source]
Herron signed a four-year deal through 2015 with the Cincinnati Bengals on May 23, 2012. On August 31, 2012, he was cut by the Bengals. On December 4, 2012, Herron was recalled to the Bengals active roster after spending the first part of the season on the practice squad. On December 13, 2012, Herron blocked a punt against the Philadelphia Eagles; in the same game he had his first carry. He ended the game with three carries for eight yards.
Indianapolis Colts[edit | edit source]
The Indianapolis Colts signed Herron on October 9, 2013. On November 30, 2014, in a game against the Washington Redskins, Herron recorded his first career rushing touchdown, on a career-long 49-yard run to put Indianapolis up 14-3. The Colts ended the game with a 49-27 victory. In his first postseason game, Herron rushed 12 times for 56 yards and a touchdown, adding 10 receptions for 85 yards as the Colts defeated his former team, the Cincinnati Bengals, 26–10. The following week, Herron touched the ball a career-high 31 times (23 carries, eight receptions) and recorded a combined 95 yards and one rushing touchdown to help Indianapolis defeat the Denver Broncos 24–13. Herron was tendered a contract at the end of the season, as an exclusive-rights free agent. On April 1, he signed his tender. Herron was waived injured on September 6, 2015.
Buffalo Bills[edit | edit source]
Indianapolis Colts (second stint)[edit | edit source]
Buffalo Bills (second stint)[edit | edit source]
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
Regular season[edit | edit source]
Postseason[edit | edit source]
Personal life[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Pool, Chris (April 18, 2006). "BOOM! HERRON NAMES NEW FAVORITES". recruiting.scout.com. http://recruiting.scout.com/story/521574-boom-herron-names-new-favorites. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Dan Herron, Indianapolis RB - Scout". http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2138554.
- "Ohio State football players sanctioned". sports.espn.go.com. December 26, 2010. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Lesmerises, Doug (October 3, 2011). "Ohio State Buckeyes' Marcus Hall, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey suspended for improper work payments". cleveland.com. http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/10/ohio_state_to_discuss_ncaa_cas.html. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletic Site - Football". ohiostatebuckeyes.com. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/herron_dan00.html. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Kirkendall, Josh (May 25, 2012). "Details Emerge Regarding Dan Herron's Four-Year Contract". http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/25/3042973/details-emerge-regarding-dan-herrons-four-year-contract.
- Kirkendall, Josh (August 31, 2012). "2012 Cincinnati Bengals Rookie Class Update: RB Dan Herron Cut, S George Iloka Makes The 53". http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/8/31/3283834/2012-nfl-roster-cincinnati-bengals-herron-iloka.
- "Herron promoted as Sanu goes on IR". http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Herron-promoted-as-Sanu-goes-on-IR/93e2a1b2-075e-4c9c-a4a3-52f82dbcaa5e.
- Marcum, Jason (December 14, 2012). "Dan Herron Laying the “Boom” on Special Teams". http://stripehype.com/2012/12/14/herron-laying-boom-on-special-teams/.
- Alper, Josh (October 9, 2013). "Colts sign Daniel Herron, Andy Studebaker". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/colts-sign-dan-herron-andy-studebaker/.
- "Wk 13 Can't-Miss Play: Boom burns Redskins". http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Wk-13-Cant-Miss-Play-Boom-burns-Redskins/324a48de-f7cb-492b-94b4-0934595bfc17.
- "INDIANAPOLIS COLTS RB-DANIEL HERRON SIGNS TENDER". colts.com. April 1, 2015. http://blogs.colts.com/2015/04/01/indianapolis-colts-rb-daniel-herron-signs-tender/. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Bowen, Kevin (September 6, 2015). "Colts Claim Two Players Off Waivers, Boom Herron Waived-Injured". http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Claim-Two-Players-Off-Waivers-Boom-Herron-Waived-Injured/08c41212-b02e-4c07-bfbc-4d5404550189.
- Hanzus, Dan (October 6, 2015). "Bills pass on Trent Richardson, sign Boom Herron". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000551088/article/bills-pass-on-trent-richardson-sign-boom-herron. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Galliford, Brian (November 25, 2015). "Bills sign Marcus Thigpen, Ryan Groy; release Denarius Moore, Boom Herron". buffalorumblings.com. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/11/25/9800790/bills-sign-marcus-thigpen-ryan-groy-release-denarius-moore-boom-herron. Retrieved November 25, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make roster moves". blogs.colts.com. November 26, 2015. http://blogs.colts.com/2015/11/26/indianapolis-colts-make-roster-moves-121/. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- Wilson, Josh (March 9, 2016). "Colts did not tender running back Boom Herron". http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/9/11189096/colts-did-not-tender-running-back-boom-herron.
- Orr, Connor (June 9, 2016). "Boom Herron returns to Bills". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000668110/article/bills-sign-boom-herron-add-to-rb-depth. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- Brown, Chris (September 2, 2016). "Vets Felton and Lawson headline Bills cut to 53". https://www.buffalobills.com/news/vets-felton-and-lawson-headline-bills-cut-to-53-17612870.
[edit | edit source]
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Buffalo Bills bio
- Indianapolis Colts bio