Dan Baker (born September 22, 1946) is an American public address announcer best known for many years as the voice of Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Baker has been the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 and Philadelphia Eagles since 1985. He has served as a PA voice for five World Series (1980, 1983, 1993, 2008 and 2009), two Major League Baseball All Star Games (1976 and 1996), and three NFC Championship Games (2002, 2003, and 2004).
Though the Phillies and Eagles left Veterans Stadium for new venues (the Eagles to Lincoln Financial Field in 2003 and the Phillies to Citizens Bank Park in 2004), Baker remained the PA announcer for both teams.
After the 2009 retirement of the New York Yankees' Bob Sheppard, who was also PA announcer for the Eagles' biggest rival, New York Giants, Baker became the longest-tenured PA announcer in Major League Baseball.
Baker remains the long-time radio announcer for Drexel University Dragons men's basketball on WNTP 990 AM. Before that, he was broadcasting Philadelphia BIG 5 Basketball games for 21 years starting in 1977. Baker was named to the BIG 5 Hall of Fame in 1997. Baker served as Big 5 executive director from 1981-96. Inducted into the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame in 2012.
Baker reprises his role as the Philadelphia Phillies PA announcer for select Phillies away games at multiple venues that comprise a chain of Philadelphia area sports bars. The events are billed as "Summer Nights with Dan Baker". At these appearances, Baker announces the game over the sports bar's PA system in exactly the same fashion as he would if he was announcing an actual Phillies home game.
- ↑ Westcott, Rich (2005). Veterans Stadium: field of memories. Philadelphia: Temple University Press. pp. 105–106. ISBN 1-59213-428-9. OCLC 59818089. http://books.google.com/books?id=SwEnqr5lAssC&pg=PA105.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Jensen, Mike (October 18, 2010). "One pronounced voice". Philadelphia Inquirer. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20101018_One_pronounced_voice.html?viewAll=y.
- ↑ "Summer Nights at the Ballpark with Dan Baker". http://www.chickiesandpetes.com/summer-nights-with-dan-baker.
- "Staff Directory: Dan Baker". Drexel Dragons. http://www.drexeldragons.com/bio.asp?staffid=29. Retrieved 15 May 2009.
- Final Veterans Stadium 7th Inning Stretch on YouTube YouTube video of the final 7th-inning stretch at Veterans Stadium, where Take Me Out to the Ballgame, played by organist Paul Richardson is introduced by Baker.