Moore during pregame warmups.
|No. -- Carolina Panthers|
|Cornerback / Nickelback|
|Date of birth:March 22, 1987|
|Place of birth: Spartanburg, South Carolina|
|Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||Weight: 182 lb (83 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 4 / Pick: 119|
|Debuted in 2009 for the Chicago Bears|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 1, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
David James "D.J." Moore (born March 22, 1987) is a American football cornerback for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. He was drafted 119th overall in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. He played college football at Vanderbilt.
High school career
In high school, he was a four-year football varsity player at Broome High School in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He was a player that played both offense and defense, starting at Wide Receiver and Defensive Back. As a senior, he had 48 receptions for 896 yards and 14 touchdowns; one rush for a 84 yard touchdown; three punt return touchdowns; 39 tackles and 6 interceptions on defense. He also played basketball in high school, helping squad to state title as a junior. As a senior in basketball, he averaged 15 points, 10 rebounds, and five assists.
- AA Special Teams Player of the Year
- Region 2-2A Player of the Year
- Two-time All-State Wide Receiver
- 2004 State Title for Football
- 2004 State Championship Football MVP
- Three-time All-State in Basketball
- Track and Field State Champion as High jumper
Moore played college football at Vanderbilt for three seasons, playing in 37 games, while starting 34 of them as defensive back. While playing at Vanderbilt, he garnered First Team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press in his sophomore and junior years. He was also named an All-American in his junior year, as he helped lead Vanderbilt to victory in the 2008 Music City Bowl, exactly 53 years since the team's last victory at a bowl. In an interview following the game, Moore announced that he would forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft.
Moore was selected by the Chicago Bears in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. On May 29, 2009, he signed a 4-year deal with Chicago, signing him through 2012. Moore appeared in three games in his rookie season, serving as a backup cornerback behind Charles Tillman and Corey Graham at the left cornerback position. During the 2010 Season, Moore has seen considerable playing time contributing as the nickelback when the team leaves its base 4-3 coverage. He intercepted two passes from Tony Romo during a game against the Dallas Cowboys. On October 24, 2010, he intercepted a pass from Donovan McNabb of the Washington Redskins and ran it back 54 yards for a touchdown. Moore also returned another McNabb interception for a touchdown, but it was nullified due to a holding penalty. In the 2011 season against the Detroit Lions, Moore was ejected from the game for starting a brawl after Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford pulled him down by the helmet.
After the 2013 season the Bears decided not to resign Moore.
- "AP All-SEC Football Team Announced, SEC Sports News, December 5 2007". Secsports.com. http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=10181. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "2008 AP All-SEC Football Team Announced, SEC Sports News, December 8, 2008". Secsports.com. http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=12015. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Moore earns multiple All-America honors, Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site, December 16, 2008". Vucommodores.cstv.com. 2008-12-16. http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121608aaa.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Underclassmen Watch: Defensive Backs, Football's Future, January 15, 2009". Footballsfuture.com. 2006-09-28. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/underclassmendb.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- D.J. Moore (CB). "NFL Draft Prospects - D.J. Moore". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/d.j.-moore?id=79617. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Bears agree to terms with seven draftees". Chicagobears.com. 2009-05-29. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5853. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Depth Chart - Chicago Bears, Chicagobears.com, 2009". Chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depthchart.asp. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Three Bears: D.J. Moore gets 'D' going - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. 2010-10-24. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-10-24/sports/ct-spt-1025-3-bears--20101024_1_jay-cutler-chicago-bears-tickets-moore. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Bears' D.J. Moore on game-ejecting brawl with Lions' Matthew Stafford (video) - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/8813242-419/bears-dj-moore-on-game-ejecting-brawl-with-lions-matthew-stafford-video.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Patra, Kevin (5 March 2013). "Chicago Bears tell D.J. Moore he won't return in 2013". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147035/article/chicago-bears-tell-dj-moore-he-wont-return-in-2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Chicago Bears bio
- Vanderbilt Commodores bio
- NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - D.J. Moore
- Chicago Bears Player Bio - D.J. Moore