|Date of birth:September 30, 1991|
|Place of birth: Palm Desert, California|
|College: Oregon State|
|NFL Draft: 2015 / Round: 5 / Pick: 172|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Kansas City Chiefs ( 2015– 2016)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Pro Bowl (2016)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Donell James "D. J." Alexander (born Donell James Welch; September 30, 1991) is an American football linebacker and special teamer for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. He played college football for Oregon State.
Alexander was recruited to Oregon State and grayshirted his freshman year to focus on academics. He ended up becoming a three-year starter for the Beavers. He was frequently injured as a junior and underwent a neck surgery after the season. Alexander enjoyed a bounce-back senior year, recording 70 tackles with 12 tackles for loss and four sacks in 2014
Kansas City Chiefs
Alexander was drafted in the fifth round with the 172nd pick of the 2015 NFL draft by the Kansas City Chiefs despite not being invited to the NFL combine. A good showing at Oregon State pro day prompted the Chiefs to select him.
As a rookie in 2015, Alexander played all 16 games making 16 tackles and a forced fumble.
Having little expectations at regular snaps, Alexander performed better at special teams. He finished the 2016 year by playing 16 games with one start. He was named to his first Pro Bowl as a special teamer.
On September 1, 2018, Alexander was waived by the Seahawks.
In 2012, he legally changed his last name from Welch to Alexander, in honor of his stepfather. He married his wife, Sam, on July 17, 2016.
- "Chiefs take Oregon State linebacker D.J. Alexander in fifth round of NFL Draft". Kansas City Star. May 2, 2015. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article20090802.html. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- John, Andrew L. (May 5, 2015). "Former Palm Desert star D.J. Alexander drafted by Chiefs". The Desert Sun. http://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/football/2015/05/02/dj-alexander-oregon-state-nfl-kansas-city-chiefs/26794559/. Retrieved September 18, 2015.
- "D.J. Alexander added to 2017 Pro Bowl". foxsports.com. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d-j-alexander-added-to-2017-pro-bowl-012317. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Kansas City and Seattle agree to trade linebackers". July 28, 2017. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822926/article/kansas-city-and-seattle-agree-to-trade-linebackers.
- "Seahawks Set 53-Man Roster". September 1, 2018. https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-set-53-man-roster.
- McPherson, Chris (September 2, 2018). "Eagles Claim LB D.J. Alexander Off Waivers". https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-claim-lb-d-j-alexander-off-waivers.
- "Jaguars sign three linebackers to offseason roster". May 1, 2019. https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sign-three-linebackers-to-offseason-roster.