|No. 13 St. Louis Rams|
|Wide Receiver / Kick Returner|
|Date of birth:December 6, 1989|
|Place of birth: Jackson, Mississippi|
|High School: Wylie (TX)|
|College: Wake Forest|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 96|
|Debuted in 2012 for the St. Louis Rams|
|* St. Louis Rams ( 2012–present)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Kick return yards||539|
Chris Givens (born December 6, 1989) is an American football wide receiver with the St. Louis Rams of the National Football League. He was selected in the fourth round, 96th overall by the St. Louis Rams in the 2012 NFL Draft. He attended Wake Forest University from 2008 to 2011. Givens also attended Wylie High School in Wylie, Texas, where he was regarded as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com, and was a teammate of Patrick Witt.
College career[edit | edit source]
Givens played college football at Wake Forest University from 2009 to 2011. He totaled 629 receiving yards as a redshirt freshman in 2009 and 514 as a redshirt sophomore in 2010. In July 2011, he was placed on the watchlist for the Fred Biletnikoff Award. After catching six passes for 101 yards in Wake Forest's October 2011 win over Florida State, Givens was named the Offensive Receiver of the Week by the Atlantic Coast Conference for the second consecutive week. In the first seven games of the 2011 season, Givens had 46 receptions for 866 yards and eight touchdowns. As of October 23, 2011, Givens' 886 receiving yards during the 2011 season ranked fifth among NCAA Division I FBS players.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
|2009||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||12||45||629||14.0||54||8||15||98||6.5||17||0|
|2010||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||12||35||514||14.7||81||4||16||63||3.9||22||2|
|2011||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||13||83||1330||16.0||79||9||14||77||5.5||13||0|
Professional career[edit | edit source]
2012 NFL Draft[edit | edit source]
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11⅛ in||198 lb||4.41 s||4.23 s||6.97 s||33½ in||9 ft 10 in||19 rep||x|
Givens was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft. Givens was the first player selected on day 3 of the
St. Louis Rams[edit | edit source]
2012[edit | edit source]
On June 1, 2012, Gives signed a four-year contract with the Rams worth $2.6 million. Through the first two games of the regular season, he was held without a reception or a target from the quarterback. It wasn't until Week 3 against the Seattle Seahawks that Givens would catch his first NFL pass, beating Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman for a 52-yard reception.
In a Week 5 win against the Arizona Cardinals, Givens caught a 51-yard pass, resulting in the first touchdown of his NFL career. He would go on to catch a pass of 50-plus yards in five consecutive games from September 30 to October 21, 2012, an NFL rookie record for most consecutive games with a 50-plus yard reception. The receptions came against the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers, and New England Patriots. During Week 10 of the regular season, Givens was suspended along with fellow rookie Janoris Jenkins for reportedly violating teams rules. Both players were sidelined and the specifics about their suspensions were never revealed. In Week 12 against the Arizona Cardinals, Givens logged his first 100-plus yard receiving game of his career.
Givens ended his rookie campaign with 42 catches for 698 yards and 3 touchdowns, leading all Rams receivers in receiving yards.
Career Statistics[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Bob Sutton (October 7, 2011). "Catching on: Wake Forest receiver Givens gives foes fits". The Times-News (Burlington, NC). http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/forest-48380-winston-givens.html. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Dan Collins (October 4, 2011). "Givens Back in Good Graces". Winston-Salem Journal. http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/givens-back-in-good-graces/. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Dan Collins (September 18, 2009). "Givens is giving Deacons offense: Slotback has recovered from serious injuries to his knees in high school". Winston-Salem Journal. http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2009/sep/18/givens-is-giving-deacons-offense-ar-151892/. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Givens on Biletnikoff Watch List: Wake receiver considered among best in nation". Wake Forest University. July 21, 2011. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072111aaa.html. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Givens Earns ACC Player of the Week Honor: Wide receiver named POTW for the second consecutive week". Wake Forest University. October 10, 2011. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101011aab.html. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Wake's Chris Givens Earns ACC Honors". WFMY News. October 10, 2011. http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/194700/13/Wakes-Chris-Givens-Earns-ACC-Honors. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Chris Givens". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381585/chris-givens. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- "NCAA Division I-A Player Receiving Statistics - 2011 (Receiving Yards Leaders - All Players)". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- "Chris Givens Stats". http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15078/type/college/chris-givens.
- "Chris Givens". NFL Draftscout.com. 2012-04-29. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=82752&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
[edit | edit source]