|Date of birth:January 9, 1983|
|Place of birth: Regina, Saskatchewan|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
Early life[edit | edit source]
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Getzlaf played with the junior Prairie Thunder and collegiate Regina Rams in his hometown before being drafted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the fifth round, 33rd overall, in the 2007 CFL Draft. After dressing for the first two games of the season, he spent the rest of the season on two team's practice rosters, as he was then traded to the Saskatchewan Roughriders with Corey Holmes in exchange for Jason Armstead on August 19, 2007. While he was on the practice roster during the Roughriders' 2007 Grey Cup victory, he still shared in the win, meaning that both he and his brother, Ryan, ended up 2007 champions with their respective teams.
Getzlaf started the 2008 season on the practice roster, but with a rash of injuries at the receiver position, he was pressed into action, making his Rider debut on Oct 3, 2008. In this game against the Calgary Stampeders, he recorded his first career CFL catch and touchdown, finishing the game with five catches for 47 yards and a touchdown. He dressed for the final five games of the season, finishing with 15 catches for 247 yards and two touchdowns. He also contributed one catch for 13 yards in the Roughriders' loss to the BC Lions in the 2008 West Semi-Final.
Heading into the 2009 season, Getzlaf looked to improve upon his strong play at the end of the previous season and spent the first four weeks as a backup receiver. After Andy Fantuz was injured in a week 4 game against Edmonton, Getzlaf started the Week 5 game against the Calgary Stampeders, contributing in a major way. He had a huge day with five receptions for 101 yards and two touchdowns including the opening score of the game and a 65-yard touchdown with 1:17 remaining in the game to give the Roughriders an improbable 24-23 comeback victory. It was the first 100-yard receiving game of his career. Once Fantuz came back from injury in the Banjo Bowl, Getzlaf retained his starter's position, with Jason Clermont being relegated to a backup role; hence, he started 14 games during the regular season. Getzlaf finished with a team-leading six touchdown receptions and was tied with Andy Fantuz for the team lead in two-point conversions with two. Interestingly, out of his nine career touchdowns (including post-season), six have come against the Stampeders. In the 2009 West Final, Getzlaf had three catches for 21 yards and a touchdown, which was part of the 27-17 win over the Stampeders that featured all Roughrider scoring by Canadian players. He had two catches for 15 yards in the 2009 Grey Cup, a 28-27 loss to the Montreal Alouettes.
On June 20, 2012, the Riders announced that Getzlaf has signed a contract extension.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
|2011||SSK||18||60||1,071||17.9||70||10||Team did not qualify|
Awards[edit | edit source]
- First Team All-Canadian (collegiate) - 2006
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "The life athletic with Ryan Getzlaf". CANOE. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/03/26/973014-sun.html. Retrieved 2008-11-21.
- "Chris Getzlaf". Canadian Football League. http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/1037. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- MacFarlane, Steve (2009-08-02). "Riders' winning combo honing connection last three years". Calgary Sun. http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/football/2009/08/02/10340476-sun.html. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- Spotlight: Chris Getzlaf (Television production). TSN/CFL. 2009-08-02. http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/7665. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Riders Re-Sign Getzlaf and Charles". Riderville.com. 2010-01-15. http://www.riderville.com/article/riders-re-sign-getzlaf-and-charles. Retrieved 2010-01-17.