Gamble in 2012
|Date of birth:March 11, 1983|
|Place of birth: Boston, Massachusetts|
|College: Ohio State|
|NFL Draft: 2004 / Round: 1 / Pick: 28|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Carolina Panthers ( 2004– 2012)|
|Career highlights and awards|
| * BCS National Champion (2003)
|Stats at NFL.com|
Chris Lee Gamble (born March 11, 1983) is a former American football cornerback who played nine seasons for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Ohio State.
High school careerEdit
Gamble played cornerback, wide receiver, and all phases of special teams at Ohio State. He was an integral part of the 2002 National Championship team, which went 14-0. Gamble played all 3 ways at Ohio State, earning 1st Team All-Big Ten honors, and 3rd Team All-America honors for cornerback. Gamble had 4 interceptions for the 2002 season, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Gamble was known for his game-breaking ability in all facets of the game, including defense, offense, and kick returning.
In 38 games, he started 18 times on defense and 12 times on offense (started on both offense and defense in five contests in 2002). Recorded 65 tackles (51 solos) with three stops behind the line of scrimmage, seven interceptions and 21 pass deflections. Also caught 40 passes for 609 yards (15.2 avg.), rushed six times for 68 yards (11.3 avg.) with a touchdown, returned 60 punts for 467 yards (7.8 avg.) and had 18 kickoff returns for 384 yards (21.3 avg.).
Gamble majored in sports and leisure studies while at Ohio State.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0 in||198 lb||4.52 s||4.25 s||6.89 s||39 1/2 in||16 reps|
Head coach John Fox named Gamble the starting cornerback to begin the regular season, alongside Ricky Manning. In 2004, Chris became the first rookie defensive player in Carolina Panthers history to start all 16 games, and earned Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie honors after establishing a Panthers rookie record with six interceptions, placing him in third in the NFL in interceptions.
In 2005, Gamble led the Panthers once again with 7 interceptions, ranking him fourth in the NFL.
In 2007, he finished the year with 50 tackles with only 1 interception.
In 2008, he finished the year with 3 interceptions and he also tied for third in the NFL in passes defended with 19.
Through Gamble's career milestones, the Panthers rewarded him on November 28, 2008 to a six-year $53 million contract with $23 million guaranteed, making him one of the highest paid defensive backs in the league.
Panthers franchise recordsEdit
As of 2017[update]'s NFL off-season, Chris Gamble held at least 3 Panthers franchise records, including:
- Interceptions: career (27)
- Int Ret Yds: season (157 in 2005), game (101 on 2005-11-06 @TAM)
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- ↑ "Pro-Football-Reference: 2004 Carolina Panthers". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2004_roster.htm. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- ↑ http://www.panthers.com/Team/PlayerBio.aspx?id=7504
- ↑ Copeland, Kareem (March 8, 2013). "Chris Gamble's long run with Carolina Panthers ends". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148777/article/chris-gambles-long-run-with-carolina-panthers-ends. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- ↑ Chris Gamble retires after release by Carolina Panthers
- ↑ "Chris Gamble Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5553/chris-gamble. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
|Ohio State Buckeyes |
Football Season MVP
2002 (with Craig Krenzel)
| Succeeded by|