Rachal during his time at USC
|Date of birth:March 15, 1986|
|Place of birth: Compton, California|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||Weight: 323 lb (147 kg)|
|College: Southern California|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 39|
|Debuted in 2008 for the San Francisco 49ers|
|Roster status: Active/Non-football injury|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Chilo Rachal (born March 15, 1986) is an American football guard for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Southern California.
Early years[edit | edit source]
He played high school football at Dominguez High School in Compton, where he was a 2003 Super Prep and Prep Star All American his senior year. Regarded as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Rachal was listed as the No. 12 offensive tackle prospect in the class of 2004.
College career[edit | edit source]
Rachal redshirted his freshman year at offensive guard and tackle in the 2004 season. In the 2005 season he appeared in all 13 games as a backup offensive guard and on special teams. As a redshirt sophomore, he started all 12 games at right offensive guard in the 2006 season, earning a spot on the All-Pacific-10 Conference second team.
For the 2007 season, the redshirt junior again started at right guard. Despite missing three games due to a sprained knee suffered against Washington, Rachal was named to the 2007 All-Pacific-10 Conference First Team Offense. At the end of the season, Rachal's father, Charles, mentioned that his son had told him he was declaring for the 2008 NFL Draft due to family medical issues. The month following his father's comment, Rachal stated his 64-year-old father, who works in construction, had recently suffered two hernias, and has tendinitis in his knees and his mother had been diagnosed with an abdominal growth the size of a six-month-old child, though he was unclear whether it was benign or malignant. His mother had informed him of her condition after the 2007 regular season. The only underclassman at USC to leave that year, Rachal stated "I had to do what was best for my family."
Professional career[edit | edit source]
2008 NFL Draft[edit | edit source]
Rachal was drafted 39th overall by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2008 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 5 in||315 lb||5.16 s||1.80 s||3.01 s||5.14 s||8.01 s||25½ in||9 ft 0 in||28 rep|
San Francisco 49ers[edit | edit source]
Rachal was signed to a four-year deal.
Rachal started the last 6 games of the 2008 season, then started 15 of 16 games in 2009. Rachal started 14 of 15 games played in 2010. During the 2011 season, Rachal was assigned to second string behind starting Right Guard Adam Snyder, although he did start 3 games at the position.
Chicago Bears[edit | edit source]
On April 18, 2012, he signed a contract with the Chicago Bears to a one-year deal. It was announced on November 21, 2012 that Rachal had left the team for "personal reasons". He was placed on the reserve/left squad list. On November 22, Rachal was placed on reserve/non-football injury, and will be out for the remainder of the 2012 season.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Offensive tackles 2004". Rivals.com. January 26, 2004. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-530.
- Gregg Bell, After falling to No. 2, USC seeking an Oregon State-type wakeup, Associated Press, September 30, 2007.
- Pac-10 Football Awards and All-Conference Team Announced, Pacific 10 Conference, December 3, 2007.
- Gary Klein, Rachal to leave Trojans early, Los Angeles Times, January 11, 2008.
- "Lone USC junior at Combine had no choice but to go pro". http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10658928. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- Farmer, Sam (February 22, 2008). "Family issues send USC's Rachal into NFL draft". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-rachal22feb22,1,6619384.story.
- "Chilo Rachal Draft Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33616&draftyear=2008&genpos=OG. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Coolong, Neal (July 16, 2008). "San Francisco inks second-rounder Rachal". Realfootball365.com. http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/niners/12055. Retrieved July 21, 2008.
- "Bears agree to terms with ex-49ers guard Chilo Rachal". ChicagoTribune.com. April 18, 2012. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-agree-to-terms-with-ex49ers-guard-chilo-rachal-20120418,0,4861655.story.
- "Rachal leaves Bears for personal reasons". chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Rachal-leaves-Bears-for-personal-reasons/f04395b1-d5bb-414d-bb0d-b0b15b5088a4. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-11-22). "Cutler practices on a limited basis". Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Cutler-practices-on-a-limited-basis/5c354740-9770-41b7-af30-46b4903caaf5. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chilo Rachal.|