|Central Michigan Chippewas football|
|Athletic director||Dave Heeke|
|Head coach||Dan Enos|
|Home stadium||Kelly/Shorts Stadium|
|Location||Mount Pleasant, Michigan|
|League||NCAA Division I (FBS)|
|Postseason bowl record||3–4|
|Claimed national titles||1|
|Colors||Maroon and Gold|
|Fight song||The Fighting Chippewa|
|Marching band||The Marching Chippewas|
The Central Michigan Chippewas football team (also referred to as the CMU Chippewas) is a college football program in Division I FBS, representing Central Michigan University. They are a top 25 program in terms of all-time winning percentage and top five amongst all teams from non-BCS automatic qualifying conferences. The Chippewas currently compete in the Mid-American Conference.
The Chippewas won the 1974 NCAA Division II National Championship by defeating Delaware 54-14.
|1974||NCAA Division II||Roy Kramer||12-1|
|Year||Conference||Coach||Overall Record||Conference Record|
|1952||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||7-2||6-0|
|1953||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||7-1-1||5-0-1|
|1954||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||8-2||5-1|
|1955||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||8-1||5-1|
|1956||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||9-0||6-0|
|1962||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||6-4||4-0|
|1966||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Bill Kelly||5-5||3-0|
|1967||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Roy Kramer||8-2||2-1|
|1968||Interstate Intercollegiate Athletic Conference||Roy Kramer||7-2||2-1|
|1979||Mid-American Conference||Herb Deromedi||10-0-1||8-0-1|
|1980||Mid-American Conference||Herb Deromedi||9-2||7-2|
|1990||Mid-American Conference||Herb Deromedi||8-3-1||7-1|
|1994||Mid-American Conference||Dick Flynn||9-3||8-1|
|2006||Mid-American Conference||Brian Kelly/Jeff Quinn||10-4||7-1|
|2007||Mid-American Conference||Butch Jones||8-6||6-1|
|2009||Mid-American Conference||Butch Jones/Steve Stripling||12-2||8-0|
|1990||California Bowl||L||San Jose State||24||48|
|1994||Las Vegas Bowl||L||UNLV||24||52|
|2006||Motor City Bowl||W||Middle Tennessee State||31||14|
|2007||Motor City Bowl||L||Purdue||48||51|
|2008||Motor City Bowl||L||Florida Atlantic||21||24|
|2012||Little Caesars Pizza Bowl||W||Western Kentucky||24||21|
|TOTAL||7 Bowl Games||3–4||216||251|
Western Michigan Broncos
These arch rivals first met in 1907 and have faced one another annually since 1943. Since the two schools are separated by just a 2 hour drive, the visiting team typically has a strong fan and student presence at the game. The winner of the game receives the Cannon Trophy. The outcome also helps determine the winner of the Michigan MAC Trophy, a trophy fought over between Michigan's three MAC football teams: the Chippewas, the Broncos, and the Eastern Michigan Eagles.
1975: Central Michigan 34, Western Michigan 0
In the Chippewas' first MAC game, they shutout the Broncos 34-0 at the then Perry Shorts Stadium.
2000: Central Michigan 21, Western Michigan 17
The Broncos entered this game with an 8-1 record, atop the conference standings, and on the brink of a top 25 ranking. Conversely, the Chippewas entered the game with a 1-8 record. However, the Chippewas shocked the Broncos, defeating them 21-17.
2004: Central Michigan 24, Western Michigan 21 (OT)
Trailing 21-7 with 2 minutes remaining, Chippewa quarterback Kent Smith rushed for a touchdown. The Broncos secured the ensuing kickoff, but would fumble to CMU. Several plays later, Smith threw a touchdown pass to tie the game and force overtime. The Chippewas went on to win the game 24-21 on a 25-yard field goal. After the kick, the CMU students rushed the field.
2007: Central Michigan 34, Western Michigan 31
Western Michigan scored 14 points within 33 seconds to take a 31-27 lead with less than two minutes remaining. But, on the Chippewas' following drive, quarterback Dan LeFevour threw a 39 yard pass to Bryan Anderson at the 1-yard line. LeFevour then rushed for the winning touchdown.
2008: Central Michigan 38, Western Michigan 28
Senior quarterback Brian Brunner got the nod over injured Dan LeFevour in a matchup of two MAC undefeateds. It was also the first game that would be played for the newly minted "Cannon Trophy." The Chippewas, led by Brunner's 341 yards passing and freshman running back Bryan Schroeder's 141 yards rushing downed the Broncos.
Eastern Michigan Eagles
The Chippewas and Eagles maintain a less prominent, but steady rivalry. These opponents know each other well as they have faced each other over 80 times.
Michigan State Spartans
These two teams only first met in 1991, but a rivalry quickly developed. The two schools are separated by just 68 miles of U.S. Route 127. Michigan State leads the rivalry 6-3.
1991: Central Michigan 20, Michigan State 3
The defending Big Ten Co-Champion Spartans entered the game ranked 19th in the nation. They were thought of as such a high favorite that odds-makers did not release point spreads for the game. Yet, the underdog Chippewas never trailed, beating the Spartans by a score of 20-3.
1992: Central Michigan 24, Michigan State 20
CMU went back into Spartan stadium a year later and won a hard fought battle to stun the surging Spartans. After beating the Spartans two straight years, the rivalry was born.
2009: Central Michigan 29, Michigan State 27
With 32 seconds remaining, Chippewa quarterback Dan LeFevour threw a touchdown pass to Paris Cotton to put the Chippewas within one point. After a failed two-point conversion, Bryan Anderson recovered the ensuing onside kick to set up a field goal attempt. After an offside penalty negated a missed attempt, Andrew Aguila hit the game winning 42-yard field goal.
Chippewas currently playing professional football
Current NFL players
- Nick Bellore - Linebacker, New York Jets
- Antonio Brown - Wide Receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Josh Gordy - Cornerback, Indianapolis Colts
- Cullen Jenkins – Defensive End, Philadelphia Eagles
- Joe Staley – Offensive Tackle, San Francisco 49ers
- Frank Zombo - Outside Linebacker, Green Bay Packers
- Tory Humphrey - Tight End, Oakland Raiders
- Colin Miller - Center, Oakland Raiders
- Rocky Weaver - Offensive Tackle, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Vince Agnew - Cornerback, Dallas Cowboys
- Matt Berning - Linebacker, New York Jets 
Current CFL players
- Dan LeFevour – Quarterback, Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Isaac Brown - Linebacker, Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Obed Cétoute - Wide Receiver, Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Eric Fraser - Safety, Calgary Stampeders
- Greg Wojt - Offensive Tackle, Edmonton Eskimos
- Kito Poblah - Wide Receiver, Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Carl Volny - Running Back, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 
- Pacino Horne - Cornerback, Toronto Argonauts 
Notable former players
- Curtis Adams - Retired NFL running back.
- Walter Beach - Retired NFL safety.
- Ray Bentley – Sports radio personality, former ABC College Football and NFL on Fox broadcaster, former Arena Football League head coach, retired NFL linebacker.
- Novo Bojovic - Retired NFL kicker.
- Jim Bowman - Retired NFL safety.
- Mike Franckowiak – Retired NFL quarterback.
- Brock Gutierrez - Retired NFL offensive tackle.
- Gary Hogeboom – Survivor contestant, retired NFL quarterback.
- Robert Jackson – Retired NFL safety.
- Adam Kieft - Retired NFL offensive tackle.
- Drew Mormino - Former NFL center
- Jim Podoley - Retired NFL halfback.
- Brian Pruitt - First ever AP All-American in school history (running back).
- Scott Rehberg - Retired NFL offensive guard.
The CMU Sports Network broadcasts all games live throughout Michigan and online for free.
CMU Sports Network Affiliates:
- 1270 AM WXYT, Detroit
- 1340 AM WJRW, Grand Rapids
- 98.5 FM WUPS, Houghton Lake
- 730 AM WVFN, Lansing
- 95.3 FM WCFX, Mount Pleasant
- 97.5 FM WWSN, Muskegon
- 1110 AM WJML, Petoskey
CMU Sports Zone provides live and archive Internet video-feed of games, gameday coverage, and coaches shows.
Future non-conference opponents
|@ Michigan (8/31)||vs NC State (8/28)||@ Michigan State (9/26)||vs UNLV (9/17)||@ Kansas (9/9)||vs Kansas (9/8)|
|vs New Hampshire (9/7)||@ Purdue (9/06)||vs Oklahoma State (TBA)||@ Ohio State (9/24)||@ Michigan State (TBA)||@ Michigan State (TBA)|
|@ NC State (9/14)||@ Kansas (9/20)||TBA||@ Iowa (TBA)||TBA||@ Oklahoma State (TBA)|
|@ UNLV (9/28)||TBA||TBA||@ Oklahoma State (TBA)||TBA||TBA|
- Central Michigan Chippewas
- Central Michigan Chippewas men's basketball
- "Division I-A All-Time Winning Percentage". Cfbdatawarehouse.com. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_ia_winning_pct.php. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Western Michigan Broncos vs. Central Michigan Chippewas - Recap - October 18, 2008 - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 2008-10-18. http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282922117. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "COLLEGE FOOTBALL: MIDWEST; Michigan State Upset By Central Michigan". The New York Times. September 15, 1991. http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/15/sports/college-football-midwest-michigan-state-upset-by-central-michigan.html. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- "Central Michigan Chippewas vs. Michigan State Spartans - Box Score - September 12, 2009 - ESPN". Scores.espn.go.com. 2009-09-12. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292550127. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "CMU Football Game Notes - CMUChippewas.com—Official Web Site of Central Michigan University Athletics". Cmuchippewas.com. http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=204789511. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Sat, Aug 187:00 PM ET (1989-05-12). "Nick Bellore Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - New York Jets - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14471/nick-bellore. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Sun, Aug 198:00 PM ET (1988-07-10). "Antonio Brown Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13934/antonio-brown. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Josh Gordy Stats - St. Louis Rams - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1987-02-09. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13370/josh-gordy. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Cullen Jenkins Stats - Philadelphia Eagles - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1981-01-20. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5009/cullen-jenkins. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Sat, Aug 188:00 PM ET (1984-08-30). "Joe Staley Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - San Francisco 49ers - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10472/joe-staley. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Current NFL Players
- Fri, Aug 1710:00 PM ET (1987-11-22). "Colin Miller Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Oakland Raiders - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14287/colin-miller. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Rocky Weaver Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1988-12-06. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15274/rocky-weaver. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Dan LeFevour | Roster | Hamilton Tiger-Cats". Ticats.ca. http://www.ticats.ca/roster/show/id/5377. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Roster | Hamilton Tiger-Cats". Ticats.ca. http://www.ticats.ca/roster/index/team/6. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Roster | Saskatchewan Roughriders". Riderville.com. http://www.riderville.com/roster/index/team/4/sort/last#. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- [dead link]
- "Central Michigan Chippewas Football Schedules and Future Schedules". fbschedules.com. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mid-amer/central-michigan-chippewas.php. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
Template:Central Michigan Chippewas football navbox