|Running back, Fullback|
|Date of birth:December 5, 1970|
|Place of birth: Colorado Springs, Colorado|
|Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||Weight: 243 lb (110 kg)|
|Debuted in 1993 for the New England Patriots|
|Last played in 1994 for the New England Patriots|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Rushing yards (college)||600|
|Receiving yards (college)||145|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Burnie A. Legette (born December 5, 1970 in Colorado Springs, Colorado) is a former American football running back. He played college football as a fullback for the University of Michigan from 1989 to 1992. He also played professional football for the New England Patriots during the 1993 and 1994 NFL seasons.
Legette was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and attended Billy Mitchell High School in Colorado Springs. He was a star tailback for the Mitchell football team, rushing for over 300 yards in one game during his senior year. He was selected as a Parade magazine All-American in his senior year. He was also a sprinter for Mitchell's track team.
University of MichiganEdit
Legette played college football as a fullback for the University of Michigan from 1989 to 1992. In four years with the Wolverines, Legette gained 592 rushing yards and scored four rushing touchdowns on 43 carries for an average of 3.6 yards per carry. His longest run for Michigan was a 50-yard gain against Iowa on October 5, 1991. Legette also had 145 receiving yards and 121 kickoff return yards for the Wolverines.
Legette was not drafted in the 1993 NFL Draft, but he signed a free agent contract with the New England Patriots and played for the Patriots in the 1993 and 1994 NFL seasons. He appeared in ten games for the Patriots. He suffered a hamstring pull in July 1995, and was cut by the Patriots in late August 1995, shortly before the start of the 1995 NFL season.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Burnie Legettes". pro-football-reference.com. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LegeBu20.htm.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Michigan Football Statistic Archive Query Page". University of Michigan. http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/footstart.php.
- ↑ Steve Trivett (September 6, 1988). "Burnie Legette was born to run for Marauders: Mitchell star earns weekly honor". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph, Colorado Springs, Colo.. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242245381.html?dids=242245381:242245381&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+06,+1988&author=Steve+Trivett;+Prep+Editor&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Burnie+Legette+was+born+to+run+for+Marauders+/+Mitchell+star+earns+weekly+honor&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Page (September 16, 1989). "Legette makes Michigan debut today: Former Mitchell runner has made progress already in college". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph, Colorado Springs, Colo.. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242437741.html?dids=242437741:242437741&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+16,+1989&author=Steve+Page;+Gazette+Telegraph&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Legette+makes+Michigan+debut+today/+Former+Mitchell+runner+has+made+progress+already+in+college&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Page (September 4, 1988). "Legette romps for 303 yards in Mitchell win". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242245261.html?dids=242245261:242245261&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+04,+1988&author=Steve+Page;+Gazette+Telegraph&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Legette+romps+for+303+yards+in+Mitchell+win&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Page (January 7, 1989). "Top of their class: Parade Magazine names Hill, Legette all-Americans". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242310121.html?dids=242310121:242310121&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jan+07,+1989&author=Steve+Page;+Gazette+Telegraph&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Top+of+their+class+/+Parade+Magazine+names+Hill,+Legette+all-Americans&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Trivett (March 28, 1989). "Legette stays in shape by throwing his weights around / Mitchell star wins on track, in field". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242351121.html?dids=242351121:242351121&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Mar+28,+1989&author=Steve+Trivett;+Prep+Editor&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Legette+stays+in+shape+by+throwing+his+weights+around+/+Mitchell+star+wins+on+track,+in+field&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Page, Steve (December 14, 1988). "Legette doesn't intend to fumble ball, puts academics before athletics". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph, Colorado Springs, Colo.. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242300261.html?dids=242300261:242300261&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Dec+14,+1988&author=Steve+Page;+Gazette+Telegraph&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Legette+doesn't+intend+to+fumble+ball,+puts+academics+before+athletics&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Page (January 31, 1989). "Legette lottery ends; Michigan is big winner; Mitchell star will sign with Wolverines". Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/gazette/access/242322231.html?dids=242322231:242322231&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jan+31,+1989&author=Steve+Page;+Gazette+Telegraph&pub=Colorado+Springs+Gazette&desc=Legette+lottery+ends;+Michigan+is+big+winner/+Mitchell+star+will+sign+with+Wolverines&pqatl=google.
- ↑ "1989 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library. http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/fbteam/1989fbt.htm.
- ↑ "GRIDIRON GIANTS, Springs area has been a launching pad into the NFL for a plethora of players". The Gazette, Colorado Springs, CO. January 18, 2005. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NewsLibrary&p_multi=CSGB&d_place=CSGB&p_theme=newslibrary2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=107DCD52ED8CEB19&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ Ed Duckworth (August 11, 1995). "PATRIOTS JOURNAL Untimely hamstring injury hurts Legette's chances of making team". Providence Journal-Bulletin. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/projo/access/31816436.html?dids=31816436:31816436&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+11,+1995&author=Ed+Duckworth&pub=The+Providence+Journal&desc=PATRIOTS+JOURNAL+Untimely+hamstring+injury+hurts+Legette's+chances+of+making+team&pqatl=google.("Legette has done more watching than playing since he pulled the hamstring in his right leg shortly afterthe Pats began their two-a-day workouts at Bryant College last month. The injury has left Legette in a Catch-22 situation, unable to impress his coaches at practice yet also unable to get the rest he needs for the muscle to heal.")
- ↑ Ed Duckworth (August 23, 1995). "Patriots Journal Crittenden and Legette are among 6 players cut". Providence Journal-Bulletin, Providence, R.I.. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/projo/access/31819666.html?dids=31819666:31819666&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+23,+1995&author=ED+DUCKWORTH&pub=The+Providence+Journal&desc=Patriots+Journal+Crittenden+and+Legette+are+among+6+players+cut&pqatl=google.