|*United Indoor Football (2006–2008)
|Team colors||Navy blue, red, silver, white|
|General manager||Charles Welde|
|Head coach||John Johnson|
|*Bloomington Extreme (2006–2011)
|League championships (0)|
|Conference championships (1)|
|Division championships (0)|
|Playoff appearances (8)|
|* 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017|
|*Grossinger Motors Arena (2006–2018)|
The Bloomington Edge were a professional indoor football team based in Bloomington, Illinois. Originally named the Bloomington Extreme, the team was a member of United Indoor Football (UIF), and joined the Indoor Football League (IFL) in 2009 during the UIF and Intense Football League merger. They left the IFL for the Champions Professional Indoor Football League (CPIFL) in 2013, and in 2015 the CPIFL merged with the Lone Star Football League (LSFL) to create Champions Indoor Football (CIF), where Bloomington did not follow and joined X-League Indoor Football (X-League). Following the 2015 season the Edge joined the CIF. The Edge then announced it had rejoined the IFL for the 2018 season, but a court ruling prevented the team from joining the league until 2019, however, they were not included in that season's schedule. The Edge played their home games at the Grossinger Motors Arena.
The Extreme started out as an expansion team in United Indoor Football in 2006. They missed the playoffs in their first season, but rebounded to get a franchise best record of 8-7 in 2007, when they fell to the Lexington Horsemen in the Eastern Conference championship. In 2008, they went 7-7, which was good enough for 1st place in a weak Eastern Conference. They won their first conference title and went on to the United Bowl where they would fall to the Sioux Falls Storm. The UIF merged with the Intense Football League in the 2008 offseason, meaning that the Extreme would compete in the new Indoor Football League in 2009.
In October 2010, team owner Ed Brady announced that he hired Mike Murray as the team's new head coach. Murray had been the Extreme offensive coordinator in 2006.
In November 2011, the team was purchased by Jim Morris, who had been a minority owner of the team. The team agreed with change the name of the franchise to the Bloomington Edge as a tie-in to the Ford Edge. Morris hired Kenton Carr as the Edge's head coach on January 11, 2012. The Edge finished the regular season 10-4, earning the 3 seed in the United Conference playoffs. The Edge would end their season just as the Extreme had done the past 3 years, with a first round playoff loss. This time to the Green Bay Blizzard, 30-51.
Just 12 days after the conclusion of the 2013 season, Edge owner and team president, David Holt and head coach Kenton Carr mutually agreed to part ways. Holt replaced Carr with John Johnson, who had been the teams offensive coordinator under Carr.
The Edge announced they would be joining X-League Indoor Football in October 2014. The Edge were acquired by Omar Khokhar at the end of the 2015 season. The team's season was abruptly ended and the league's X Bowl II championship game advanced to June 6 after the Cape Fear Heroes were suspended by the league.
On August 19, 2015, the Edge announced that they would be moving to Champions Indoor Football. The Edge returned to the postseason for the first time in 4 seasons, going 7–5. The Edge won their first round playoff game against the Sioux City Bandits 65–45, but lost in the North Division Championship 51–52 to the Wichita Force.
On September 9, 2016, it was announced that head coach John Johnson and the Edge had mutually agreed to part ways. On September 13, 2016, the Edge announced that former Extreme linebacker and Spokane Empire defensive coordinator, Ameer Ismail was named the teams new head coach. Ismail lead the Edge to another 7–5 season, clinching another playoff berth. The Edge lost 30–43 to the Omaha Beef. Just 12 days later, Ismail and the Edge agreed to part ways citing "different visions."
However, the CIF then attempted to sue the IFL and the Edge for leaving the CIF after the Edge had already signed league affiliation agreements with the CIF for 2018. While the CIF did drop the lawsuit against the IFL due to legal retaliation, it filed for an injunction against the Edge from participating in the IFL for breaking the terms of their signed affiliation agreement. A temporary injunction from participation was granted on January 31, 2018, with the court ruling determining that the Edge had been offered a bribe from the owner of the Arizona Rattlers to break their contract with the CIF.
On February 6, the Edge announced that it would continue to operate independently of a league for the season. In the same press release, the Edge also announced that John Johnson would return as head coach. However, the court ruling prevent the Edge from playing any games during the spring of 2018 as long as the CIF season length, forcing the Edge to only schedule exhibition games during the summer. After their summer season, Edge owner Omar Khokhar announced the franchise was for sale and could relocate.
Logos and uniforms
From the team's inception until 2011, the team was known as the Bloomington Extreme, with the having been derived from a naming rights deal with local auto dealer Extreme Motors. In the 2011–12 offseason, the team was sold to Jim Morris (owner of a local Sonic Drive-In franchise and of the Premier Basketball League's Central Illinois Drive), with a naming rights deal with another auto dealer; this time Heller Ford would acquire said rights, giving the team its new Edge nickname (derived from the Ford Edge automobile).
Players of note
|Bloomington Edge roster|
- DL Sean Kelly (1), Antonio Fickin (2), Jeff Sobol (1)
- LB Ameer Ismail
- DB LaRoche Jackson (1), James Temple (2), Vincent Joseph (1)
- K Peter Christofilakos (4)
|League Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Playoff berth||League leader|
|Season||Team||League||Conference||Division||Regular season||Postseason results|
|2007||2007||UIF||Eastern||4th||8||7||Won Round 1 (Rock River) 43–30|
Lost Divisional Championship (Lexington) 49–67
|2008||2008||UIF||Eastern||1st||7||7||Won Divisional Finals (River City) 57–23|
Lost United Bowl IV (Sioux Falls) 35–40
|2009||2009||IFL||United||Central||2nd||10||4||Lost Divisional Round 1 (Wichita) 37–46|
|2010||2010||IFL||United||Central North||2nd||9||5||Lost Round 1 (Wichita) 48–61|
|2011||2011||IFL||United||Great Lakes||3rd||9||5||Lost Round 1 (Omaha) 34–39|
|2012||2012||IFL||United||3rd||10||4||Lost United Conference Semifinal (Green Bay) 30–51|
|2016||2016||CIF||Northern||2nd||7||5||Won Northern Round 1 (Sioux City) 65–45|
Lost Division Championship (Wichita) 51–52
|2017||2017||CIF||Northern||3rd||7||5||Lost Northern Conference Semifinal (Omaha) 30–43|
|Totals||87||69||All-time regular season record|
|3||8||All-time postseason record|
|90||77||All-time regular season and postseason record|
- Deacon, Joe (October 21, 2010). "New Extreme coach Murray retains assistants". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, Illinois). http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/football/professional/arena/extreme/article_28cb2914-dd7e-11df-9298-001cc4c002e0.html. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- Deacon, Joe (December 6, 2011). "Extreme sold, name changing to Edge". Bloomington, Illinois. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/football/professional/arena/extreme/extreme-sold-name-changing-to-edge/article_02f95998-2055-11e1-9a79-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- Deacon, Joe (January 11, 2012). "Edge enter new era with Carr hiring". Bloomington, Illinois. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/football/professional/arena/extreme/edge-enter-new-era-with-carr-hiring/article_799faaee-3ca6-11e1-9f1e-001871e3ce6c.html. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Edge season comes to an end in Green Bay". Bloomington, Illinois. June 23, 2012. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-season-comes-to-an-end-in-green-bay/article_cc6226c4-bda9-11e1-b7a8-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Blaze Owner To Buy Edge, Team To Play In New League". CPIFL.org. Champions Professional Indoor Football League. October 12, 2012. Archived from the original on October 17, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121017010346/http://www.cpifl.org/newsDetail.cfm?id=20. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Deacon, Joe (October 12, 2012). "Bloomington Edge sold to Blaze owner, changing to new league". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, Illinois). http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/bloomington-edge-sold-to-blaze-owner-changing-to-new-league/article_f06e9c96-149d-11e2-9620-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Joe Deacon (June 20, 2013). "Carr out as coach of Edge football team". The Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/carr-out-as-coach-of-edge-football-team/article_f1a24326-d9ee-11e2-bcbb-001a4bcf887a.html. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- Joe Deacon (July 3, 2013). "Edge promote Johnson to head coach". The Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-promote-johnson-to-head-coach/article_484bf9ba-e3fe-11e2-bb92-001a4bcf887a.html. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- "X-League Gains Edge". OurSports Central. October 15, 2014. http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4883825. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- "Bloomington doctor to own Edge". Bloomington, Illinois. May 30, 2015. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/bloomington-doctor-to-own-edge/article_88245940-7e6c-5778-86ef-1645538c6f4b.html. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Edge season over as X-League skips to title game". The Pantagraph (Bloomington, Illinois). June 4, 2015. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-season-over-as-x-league-skips-to-title-game/article_f217fc78-8d62-5b64-b97e-5513b3ee4391.html. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Joe Deacon (August 19, 2015). "Edge moving to CIF for 2016 indoor football season". Bloomington Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-moving-to-cif-for-indoor-football-season/article_dd986dc5-0857-5894-82d9-a7c0b69759a0.html. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- "Edge, head coach Johnson, agree to part ways". Bloomington Pantagraph. September 9, 2016. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-head-coach-johnson-agree-to-part-ways/article_1ea196f5-156d-5e1c-a08d-86ba64f3b3d8.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- Joe Deacon (September 13, 2016). "Edge tab former standout linebacker Ismail as new coach". Bloomington Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-tab-former-standout-linebacker-ismail-as-new-coach/article_73a7db71-1788-5d31-a1ce-ac0a2e05ba71.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "Edge fall in playoff opener as Dunn calls it a career". Bloomington Pantagraph. June 10, 2017. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-fall-in-playoff-opener-as-dunn-calls-it-a/article_8d09089a-bd22-5ff8-a997-959ff71cff46.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- Joe Deacon (June 22, 2017). "Edge, Ismail parting ways after one season". Bloomington Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-ismail-parting-ways-after-one-season/article_72131f69-39ac-58a0-980d-b2dc2263cd92.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- Joe Deacon (August 23, 2017). "Ruud takes over as head coach of Edge". Bloomington Pantagraph. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/ruud-takes-over-as-head-coach-of-edge/article_f2c94aa2-46b3-5b5f-9817-7cd8eeda061d.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "Edge switch back to Indoor Football League". Bloomington Pantagraph. September 13, 2017. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/edge-switch-back-to-indoor-football-league/article_3f346fb1-14c2-50ed-a7a1-68c0931bab4a.html. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "Tryon addresses legal aspect of switching leagues". KWSN. October 5, 2017. http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2017/oct/06/tryon-addresses-legal-aspect-of-switching-leagues/.
- "CIF Commissioner Issues State of the League Address". Salina Scoop. October 4, 2017. http://salinascoop.com/cif-commissioner-issues-state-of-the-league-address/.
- "TEMPORARY INJUNCTION BARS RENEGADE TEAMS FROM LEAVING C.P.I.F.L.". KSCJ. January 31, 2018. http://kscj.com/2018/01/31/temporary-injunction-bars-renegade-teams-leaving-c-p-f-l/.
- "Ironmen will be independent in 2018, due to ruling that leaves them without a league". Local Sports Journal. February 6, 2018. http://localsportsjournal.com/2018/02/ironmen-will-be-independent-in-2018-due-to-ruling-that-leaves-them-without-a-league/.
- "Barred from IFL, Edge to play as independent". The Pantagraph. February 6, 2018. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/injunction-could-jeopardize-edge-season/article_d7446439-0fc8-5b08-8b81-c731360e481b.html.
- "Edge Kick Off 2018 Training Camp". Bloomington Edge. http://www.bloomingtonedge.net/news/?article_id=51.
- "Ruling sacks Edge spring season; team pushes plans to summer". The Pantagraph. February 22, 2018. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/professional/football/indoor/edge/ruling-sacks-edge-spring-season-team-pushes-plans-to-summer/article_87a3c798-5129-5e57-9ff1-c6a513df1b85.html.
- "Bloomington Edge seeks new ownership; relocation possible". The Pantograph. September 25, 2018. https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/football/professional/bloomington-edge-seeks-new-ownership-relocation-possible/article_27825213-a51e-572c-9272-2856f358805a.html.