|Bishop State Community College|
|Location||Mobile, Alabama, United States|
Women's Fastpitch Softball
Bishop State Community College was founded in the summer of 1927, as a Branch of Alabama State College in Montgomery, Alabama. In its first nine years of operation, the College offered extension courses for active teachers during the summer. In September 1936, the two-year college was established.
In August 1965, a legislative act officially declared "Alabama State College Branch Mobile Center" a state junior college. In November 1965, the College was named "Mobile State Junior College". The name was changed in September 1971 to "S.D. Bishop State Junior College" and again in 1989 to "Bishop State Community College". On August 22, 1991, the Alabama State Board of Education consolidated Southwest State Technical College and Carver State Technical College into Bishop State Community College.
Bishop State has six academic divisions and four technical divisions:
- Natural Science and Mathematics
- Business and Economics
- Social Sciences
- Health-Related Professions
- Workforce Development
- Commercial and Industrial Technology
- Consumer & Transportation Technology
- Engineering and Construction
The Bishop State Community College Department of Athletics currently sponsors Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Men's Baseball, and Women's Fastpitch Softball. The teams, nicknamed the Wildcats, play in the Alabama Community College Conference of the National Junior College Athletic Association.
|Jessie Tompkins||1986||Former nationally-ranked athlete in track and field, led lawsuit against whites-only scholarships at Alabama State University|||
- List of historically black colleges and universities
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bishop State Community College.|
- "About Bishop State: Brief History". Bishop State Community College. http://www.bscc.cc.al.us/history.html. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "CIR Fights 'Whites Only' Scholarships in Alabama". Center for Individual Rights. 29 September 1999. http://www.adversity.net/cirnews.htm. Retrieved 13 May 2012.