|Born||December 28, 1974|
|Alma mater||Purdue University|
Billy Charles Dicken (born December 28, 1974) is a former arena football quarterback who is currently the co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Illinois State Redbirds football team. Dicken played in the Arena Football League from 2001 to 2006 for the Chicago Rush, Detroit Fury, New Orleans VooDoo and the Columbus Destroyers. He played college football at Purdue University from 1994 to 1997. Billy retired from playing Racquetball on February 6, 2017.
Dicken continued his baseball and football careers at Purdue University in 1993. Dicken took a redshirt season in 1993. He was a backup quarterback to Rick Trefzger in 1994, but still managed to tie Trefzger for the Purdue passing touchdowns lead with 3. In the 1994 Old Oaken Bucket Game, Dicken suffered an injury that kept him out the entire 1995 season. In 1996, Dicken returned to the quarterback position, once again splitting time with Trefzger, and this time John Reeves as well. The Boilermakers finished 3-8 in what became Jim Colletto's 6th and final season at Purdue. In 1997, with Trefzger and Reeves gone with graduation, Dicken was poised to become Purdue's full-time starting quarterback for the first time in his career. With new head coach Joe Tiller, Purdue changed its offensive game plan to a pass-heavy air raid spread, a move Dicken liked. Dicken thrived his senior season, leading the Big Ten Conference in pass attempts, completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns on his way to being named a First Team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches.
Early professional career
Dicken was signed by the Canadian Football League's Hamilton Tiger-cats in 1998, but he was released before training camp in June. Dicken then joined the Arena Football League's Nashville Kats, where he spent the season as the 3rd string quarterback, never appearing in a game. While in Nashville, then assistant coach Frank Haege noticed Dicken during a pregame warm-up. When Haege was named the head coach for af2's Quad City Steamwheelers, he signed Dicken to be his quarterback.
Dicken's play in the af2 also helped him earn a roster spot with the Chicago Rush in 2001.
- Randy Kindred (October 8, 2009). "Dickens enjoying success together for BHS football". www.pantagraph.com. pantagraph.com. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/football/dickens-enjoying-success-together-for-bhs-football/article_e0286360-b458-11de-a5b4-001cc4c002e0.html. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Tom Kubat (November 23, 1997). "Boilers bury IU for bucket, 56-7. Most lopsided series victory in a century.". www.oldgoldfreepress.com. Old Gold Free Press. http://oldgoldfreepress.com/gridiron//pgap/in_97.htm. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Ray Parrillo (November 15, 1997). "Suddenly Tame Lions Will Get A First Look At Wild, New Purdue A Far Cry From Last Year's Boring Team, No. 19 Purdue Has A New Coach And A New Offense That Is As Exciting As It Is Prolific.". www.philly.com. The Inquirer. http://articles.philly.com/1997-11-15/sports/25541606_1_ross-ade-stadium-joe-tiller-purdue. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "1997 All-BIG TEN TEAM (as selected by coaches)". www.purduesports.com. Purdue University. http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/pur-m-footbl-97big10.html. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Bily Dicken". www.sports-reference.com. USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/billy-dicken-1.html. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "NFL teams don't think highly of Purdue's Dicken". www.news-gazette.com. The News-Gazette. April 17, 1998. http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/1998-04-17/nfl-teams-dont-think-highly-purdues-dicken.html. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Transactions". www.nytimes.com. The New York Times. June 16, 1998. https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/16/sports/transactions-444812.html. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Mike Vergane (April 16, 2000). "Dicken May Finally Be In The Right Place". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=2707552. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Argonauts ride defensive gust to win over Tiger-Cats". www.cbs.ca. CBC. October 16, 2000. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/argonauts-ride-defensive-gust-to-win-over-tiger-cats-1.237700. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Randy Reinhardt (January 17, 2014). "ISU’s Spack hires BHS grad Dicken as receivers coach". www.pantagraph.com. pantagraph.com. http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-s-spack-hires-bhs-grad-dicken-as-receivers-coach/article_3c7fafc0-7fc4-11e3-bfea-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved January 30, 2014.