Olson in August 2008
|Date of birth:February 28, 1983|
|Place of birth: Missoula, Montana|
|Undrafted in 2009|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* USA Today High School All-American (2001)|
High school career[edit | edit source]
Olson played quarterback for Thousand Oaks High School for four years. For three of those years, he played on the varsity team, alongside David Anderson.
Olson was considered the top quarterback prospect and even top high school football recruit in the country following a highly productive senior year in which he threw for 2,989 yards and 32 touchdowns, earning high school All-American honors in 2001.
College career[edit | edit source]
Olson signed with Brigham Young University upon graduating from Thousand Oaks High School in 2002 and redshirted his freshman season. Olson then went on a two-year mission to Canada with the LDS Church.
Olson played in five games in 2006, completing 63.7% of his passes for 822 yards, 6.63 yards per attempt, 5 TDs and 5 INTs. Olson's season came to an end in the opening moments of his fifth start when he was injured. Though Olson regained his health, he did not regain the starting position that season.
Olson was named starting quarterback for the 2007 Season following the spring training. However, he was plagued, yet again, by injuries and only played in 6 games, completing only 48.3% of his passes for 1040 yards, 7.08 yards per attempt, 7 TDs and 6 INTs.
Entering the 2008 season, Olson was the presumptive starting quarterback after a career-ending knee injury to Patrick Cowan, the named starter during spring practice. However, on Saturday, August 9 Olson broke his foot and was sidelined. Olson, whose career has been marked by injuries, broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot during practice, and X-rays taken Sunday, August 10 revealed the fracture. He suffered the same injury during spring practice. His broken right foot took longer than expected to heal and he finished his college football career without playing a game that year.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Personal[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "UCLA's Ben Olson making the grade", The Orange County Register, August 30, 2006
- "Ex-next-great-BYU QB loving life at UCLA", The Press-Enterprise, August 13, 2005
- Pearson, Kevin (13 August 2005). "UCLA's other Olson on a mission to make difference". The Press-Enterprise.
- Olson's career at UCLA likely over Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found. Los Angeles Daily News, November 18, 2008
- Dave Glass Domo
- "Ben Olson Athlete Profile | The Official Site of BYU Athletics" (in en). http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/ben-olson.
- "Former ESPN No. 1 recruit Ben Olson gives his perspective – The Daily Universe". http://universe.byu.edu/2014/10/10/former-espn-no-1-recruit-ben-olson-gives-his-perspective/.