|This article is outdated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. (March 2013)|
|BC Angels logo|
|Based in||Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada|
|Home field||Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre|
|League||Lingerie Football League|
|Colors||Blue, Lime Green, white
|Head coach||Bohn Jullock|
|Owner(s)||Lingerie Football League, LLC|
The BC Angels are an expansion team in the Lingerie Football League set to begin play in the 2012-13 season. Based in Abbotsford, British Columbia (70 kilometres away from Vancouver), the Angels will play their home games at the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre. Although the initial intention was for Vancouver to host the team, BC Place did not have any weekend dates available in 2012, and Rogers Arena was uninterested.
The Angels are the second of four charter teams to play in the LFL Canada league, in addition to the Toronto Triumph (which played in the 2011–12 LFL season), the Regina Rage and Saskatoon Sirens.
The Angels are unusual among LFL teams in that the name of the team is a plural; most other LFL teams prior have singular nicknames (the Sirens share this distinction). It is also unusual in that the team does not take its colors from the local professional football team (the BC Lions' colors are orange, black and white), but instead from the Vancouver Canucks, the province's National Hockey League team.
In March, 2012, Lingerie Football League Canada officials announced tryout details on their official website and made a casting call on Model Mayhem. Tryouts for the BC Angels were held on Friday, March 23, 2012 in Richmond, BC. Dress attire for the tryout was “cute gym wear”. Forty prospective players from the tryout will be selected to move on to a mini-camp held in May, from which thirty will be selected for a training camp in June. Twenty players will be selected for the final roster. Commissioner Mortaza expected "a few hundred, if not maybe a couple thousand, to come out and compete for only 20 coveted spots." Only twenty women showed up for the tryout, from Richmond, Vancouver, Surrey, Port Coquitlam and Langley.
Lingerie Football League Canada officials have just announced that the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre home to LFL Canada's BC Angels has been awarded 'Opening Night' of LFL Canada's historic inaugural season set to played on Saturday, August 25 vs. Regina Rage, 8pm Kickoff.
Opening Night festivities will include the pre-game 'LFL Canada Tailgate Village' starting at 5pm with LIVE Music and DJs, Beer Garden, Video Gaming Lounge, BBQ Food, Football Challenges and more attractions.
The 2nd and final home game for the BC Angels will be vs. Toronto Triumph on Saturday, September 29, 8pm Kickoff.
Roster[edit | edit source]
|This section requires expansion.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Michael Aynsley (2012-02-09). "Lingerie football coming to Lower Mainland after all, but not Vancouver". Openfile. http://vancouver.openfile.ca/blog/curator-blog/curated-news/2012/lingerie-football-coming-bc-after-all-not-vancouver. Retrieved 2012-03-26. mirror
- "LFL Canada Releases BC Team Name & Logo". www.lfl360.com. 2012-02-20. http://www.lfl360.com/articles/lfl-canada-releases-bc-team-name/. Retrieved 2012-02-20.mirror
- Megan Stewart (2012-04-20). "Jock & Jill: B.C. Angels Lingerie Football League tryout Sunday". Vancouver Courier. http://www.vancourier.com/sports/JOCK+JILL+Angels+Lingerie+Football+League+tryout+Sunday/6492366/story.html. Retrieved 2012-04-24. "The photograph you see with this column shows me, dressed in pink and black, covered from my knees to my wrists to my neck. Put on the hood of the fluorescent jumper, my co-workers joked, and I'd be in a burka. Albeit one that's skin-tight." mirror
- "LFL Canada to hold BC Angels tryout Friday". http://www.lfl360.com/articles/lfl-canada-hold-bc-angels-tryout-friday/. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Lingerie Football League - BC Angels Tryouts!". Model mayhem. http://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/1412221. Retrieved 2012-03-26.[dead link]
- Frank Luba (2012-03-20). "Lingerie Football League's B.C. tryouts on Friday". The Province. http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lingerie+Football+League+tryouts+Friday/6325544/story.html. Retrieved 2012-03-26. mirror
- Evan Duggan, Cam Tucker (2012-02-10). "Lingerie football comes to B.C.: Women play game in helmets, shoulder pads and underwear". http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lingerie+football+comes/6131946/story.html#ixzz1q9eyyIBM. Retrieved 2012-03-26. mirror
- Martin van den Hemel (2012-03-24). "Coaches impressed by talent at Lingerie Football League tryout". Richmond Review. http://www.richmondreview.com/news/144070826.html. Retrieved 2012-03-26. mirror
[edit | edit source]