| refer to caption |
Goodson in 2017
|No. 93 – New York Giants|
|Born:||May 29, 1993|
Lamar, South Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||242 lb (110 kg)|
|High school:||Lamar (Lamar, South Carolina)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 4 / Pick: 109|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
B. J. Goodson (born May 29, 1993) is an American football linebacker for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Clemson University and was drafted by the Giants in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
High school career
A native of Lamar, South Carolina, Goodson attended Lamar High School where he played linebacker, tight end, and kick returner. An All-State selection in his junior year, Goodson was credited with 96 tackles and six tackles for loss and added 16 receptions for 220 yards and two touchdowns on offense. Lamar finished the 2009 season with a 12–2 record as the SCHSL Class A runner-up, losing 36–6 to Steve Taneyhill's Chesterfield in the state championship game. In his senior year, Goodson recorded 156 tackles on the season and was invited to the North-South All-Star Game in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Regarded as a three-star recruit by ESPN, Goodson was ranked as the No. 29 outside linebacker prospect in the class of 2011. He verbally committed to Clemson on the eve of his season season, over scholarship offers from Tennessee and Louisiana State, among others.
After redshirting his initial year at Clemson, Goodson steadily progressed from a backup linebacker and valuable special teams player to starting linebacker and leading tackler of the Tigers defense. Appearing in 47 career games with 21 starts, he was credited with 205 tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 21 quarterback pressures, five pass breakups and five recovered fumbles.
|16px B.J. Goodson’s NFL Combine Workout|
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 1 in||242 lb||4.69 s||1.60 s||2.71 s||4.51 s||7.05 s||34.5 in||9 ft 10 in||30 rep|
|16px Giants draft B.J. Goodson 109th overall|
Throughout training camp, Goodson competed against Keenan Robinson and Jasper Brinkley to be the starting middle linebacker after it was left vacant due to the retirement of Jon Beason. Head coach Ben McAdoo named Goodson the backup middle linebacker to start the regular season, behind starting middle linebacker Kelvin Sheppard.
Goodson was inactive for the New York Giants’ season-opening 20–19 victory at the Dallas Cowboys. On September 18, 2016, Goodson made his professional regular season debut in the New York Giants’ 16–14 victory against the New Orleans Saints in Week 2. On December 18, 2016, Goodson collected a season-high four combined tackles and forced a fumble during a 17–6 victory against the Detroit Lions in Week 15. He finished his rookie season in 2016 with nine combined tackles (five solo) and one forced fumble in 15 games and zero starts. Goodson primarily played special teams and was limited to 14 snaps on defense.
Goodson entered training camp slated as the starting middle linebacker. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo held a competition between Goodson, Keenan Robinson, and Mark Herzlich during training camp. Head coach Ben McAdoo named Goodson the starting middle linebacker to begin the regular season. He started alongside outside linebackers Devon Kennard and Jonathan Casillas.
He made his first career start in the New York Giants’ season-opener at the Dallas Cowboys and recorded a career-high 18 combined tackles (14 solo) during a 19–3 loss. Goodson was sidelined for the next two games (Weeks 3–4) due to a shin injury. In Week 6, he recorded six combined tackles and made a season-high two pass deflections in the Giants’ 23–10 victory at the Denver Broncos. He was inactive for four consecutive games (Week 9–12) and the Giants’ 30–10 loss against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 14 after injuring his ankle. On December 4, 2017, the New York Giants fired head coach Ben McAdoo after the Giants fell to a 2–10 record. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was named the interim head coach for the last four games of the season. Goodson was also inactive for a Week 16 loss at the Arizona Cardinals and was subsequently placed on injured reserve on December 27, 2017. He finished the season with 53 combined tackles (37 solo), two pass deflections, and one forced fumble in seven games and seven starts.
On January 22, 2018, the New York Giants announced their decision to hire Minnesota Vikings’ offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur as their new head coach. Shumur hired James Bettcher as defensive coordinator and changed the base 4-3 defense into a base 3-4 defense. Goodson became a starting inside linebacker as a result of the change. Head coach Pat Shurmur named Goodson and Alec Ogletree the starting inside linebacker to begin the regular season. They started alongside outside linebackers Olivier Vernon and Kareem Martin.
|16px B.J. Goodson intercepts deflected pass by Mullens|
He started in the New York Giants’ season-opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars and made three combined tackles and was credited with half a sack to mark the first of his career during a 20–15 loss. Goodson made his first career sack on Jaguars’ quarterback Blake Bortles for an eight-yard loss during the first quarter with teammate Kerry Wynn. On November 12, 2018, Goodson recorded six combined tackles, deflected two passes, and made two interceptions during a 27–23 victory at the San Francisco 49ers in Week 10. Goodson made his first career interception off a pass by 49ers’ quarterback Nick Mullens during the game. The pass was intended for wide receiver Kendrick Bourne and was returned by Goodson for a five-yard gain during the first quarter. Goodson was inactive during the Giants’ Week 13 victory against the Chicago Bears due to a neck injury. In Week 15, he collected a season-high nine solo tackles and broke up a pass attempt as the Giants lost 17–0 against the Tennessee Titans. He finished the 2018 NFL season with 61 combined tackles (44 solo), four pass deflections, two interceptions, and was credited with half a sack in 15 games and 13 starts. He received an overall grade of 66.2 from Pro Football Focus, which ranked as the 41st best grade among all linebackers in 2018.
- Schwartz, Paul (April 30, 2016). "Giants draft middle linebacker of the future". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2016/04/30/giants-draft-middle-linebacker-of-the-future/.
- Robinson, Manie (December 26, 2015). "B.J. Goodson was molded in tiny Lamar football factory". Greenville News. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2015/12/26/clemson-football-swinney-goodson-linebacker-lamar-sc-levon-kirkland/77915936/.
- "S.C. football playoff results; updated schedule". The State. November 28, 2009. http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/article14360606.html.
- "2011 ESPN Top Outside linebackers". ESPN. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/outside-linebacker/class/2011/view/position.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles – B. J. Goodson". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/b.j.-goodson?id=2555522.
- Salomone, Dan (April 30, 2016). "New York Giants Draft Clemson LB B.J. Goodson in fourth round". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-York-Giants-Draft-Clemson-LB-BJ-Goodson-in-fourth-round/78b1fadc-d1e1-4180-bdcb-02c8b988536a. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Spotrac.com: B.J. Goodson contract". https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/b.j.-goodson-19063/. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Benton, Dan (August 22, 2016). "Giants' Ben McAdoo: 'Good competition' at middle linebacker will continue". https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/22/new-york-giants-middle-linebacker-good-competition-will-continue-ben-mcadoo/. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Valentine, Ed (September 5, 2016). "New York Giants' unofficial depth chart as 2016 season is set to begin". https://www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2016/9/5/12798450/new-york-giants-unofficial-depth-chart-2016. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- "New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys: Week 1 inactives". September 11, 2016. https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/11/new-york-giants-dallas-cowboys-week-1-inactives/.
- "NFL Player stats: B. J. Goodson (2016)". http://www.nfl.com/player/b.j.goodson/2555522/gamelogs?season=2016.
- "NFL Player stats: B. J. Goodson (career)". http://www.nfl.com/player/b.j.goodson/2555522/careerstats.
- Benton, Dan (May 12, 2017). "Giants will have open competition at middle linebacker". https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/12/new-york-giants-will-have-open-competition-at-middle-linebacker/.
- Raanan, Jordan (August 24, 2017). "B.J. Goodson will be Giants' Week 1 starting MLB, if it was ever in doubt". http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/53293/b-j-goodson-will-be-giants-week-1-starting-middle-linebacker-if-it-was-ever-in-doubt.
- "New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys - September 10th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201709100dal.htm. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- "Giants injury report: Good news on B.J. Goodson, Olivier Vernon". September 26, 2017. https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/26/new-york-giants-injury-report-b-j-goodson-olivier-vernon-orleans-darkwa/.
- "The Giants’ injuries are somehow worse than before". https://nypost.com/2017/11/03/the-giants-injuries-are-somehow-worse-than-before/.
- Patra, Kevin (December 4, 2017). "New York Giants fire coach Ben McAdoo after 2-10 start". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000887801/article/new-york-giants-fire-coach-ben-mcadoo-after-210-start.
- Eisen, Michael (December 27, 2017). "LB B.J. Goodson placed on IR, Giants promote WR Marquis Bundy". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/LB-BJ-Goodson-placed-on-IR-Giants-promote-WR-Marquis-Bundy/a3c0fa2b-bc4d-473b-9a2e-ae0be102e641.
- "Giants officially hire Pat Shurmur to be head coach". January 22, 2018. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909569/article/giants-officially-hire-pat-shurmur-to-be-head-coach.
- Benton, Dan (April 17, 2018). "B.J. Goodson 'embracing' Giants' new defensive scheme". https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/17/new-york-giants-bj-goodson-embracing-defensive-scheme/.
- "New York Giants depth chart: What the depth chart looks like after roster makeover". September 6, 2018. https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/9/6/17826844/new-york-giants-depth-chart-what-the-depth-chart-looks-like-after-roster-makeover.
- "Giants success on defense could hinge on these two linebackers". August 22, 2018. https://nypost.com/2018/08/22/giants-success-on-defense-could-hinge-on-these-two-linebackers/.
- "Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants - September 9th, 2018". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809090nyg.htm.
- "New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers - November 12th, 2018". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201811120sfo.htm.
- "Giants-Bears final injury report: Evan Engram, B.J Goodson won’t play". November 30, 2018. https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/11/30/18119888/giants-bears-final-injury-report-evan-engram-bj-goodson-mitchell-trubisky.
- "NFL Player stats: B. J. Goodson (2018)". http://www.nfl.com/player/b.j.goodson/2555522/gamelogs?season=2018.
- "Pro Football Focus: B. J. Goodson". https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/bj-goodson/10743.
- B. J. Goodson on Twitter
- New York Giants bio
- Clemson Tigers bio
- Profile at ESPN.com
- Media related to B. J. Goodson at Wikimedia Commons