|No. -- Oakland Raiders|
|Date of birth:March 22, 1987|
|Place of birth: Davenport, Iowa|
|High School: Davenport (IA) Central|
|Height: 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)||Weight: 333 lb (151 kg)|
|College: Northern Iowa|
|Undrafted in 2010|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Philadelphia Eagles|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2013|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Austin Howard (born March 22, 1987) is an American football offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Northern Iowa.
Early years[edit | edit source]
College career[edit | edit source]
On December 1, 2007 in a game against the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens, Howard caught a touchdown pass from Eric Sanders to bring the Panthers within five points of Delaware, but the Blue Hens ended up winning the game, 39–27. He started in all 13 games at tight end in 2007. He made five receptions for 38 yards.
Howard made the switch from tight end to offensive tackle during the 2008 offseason. He earned MVFC offensive lineman of the week honors following a game against Missouri State on November 8, 2008.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Philadelphia Eagles[edit | edit source]
Howard was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent following the 2010 NFL Draft on April 27, 2010. He made the 53-man roster and played in four games, starting at left tackle in one game.
In order to better fit into new offensive line coach Howard Mudd's system, Howard lost about 15 pounds to get down to 330 pounds. However, he was waived during final roster cuts on September 3, 2011.
Baltimore Ravens[edit | edit source]
New York Jets[edit | edit source]
Oakland Raiders[edit | edit source]
Personal[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "UNI Hosts #12 Iowa, UMKC This Week". CSTV. December 6, 2005. http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/120605abb.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Newhoff, Doug (February 3, 2005). "Panthers get some insurance". The Courier. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/local/article_5eee6fed-71d9-5f73-a138-0d8092417a10.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Coss, Matt (December 23, 2005). "Scouts study Jacobson, Stout gets blocks record in UNI win". The Courier. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/local/article_b5080ae0-1a2b-5932-b0b5-ab2a050d4710.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Schmidt, Kent (December 1, 2007). "Flacco Leads Delaware In Upset of No. 1 UNI". CSTV. http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/120107aci.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "Newcomers to UNI offensive line face heavy burden". The Courier. August 22, 2008. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/uni/football/article_c1e8ec65-2a31-5d67-8365-08eef6c0a4f9.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Doxsie, Don (September 3, 2009). "UNI lineman hopes family's mark vs. Iowa remains perfect". The Courier. http://wcfcourier.com/news/breaking_news/article_a1b7e25e-8849-5e87-bfdc-2cca526caeba.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Sullivan, Jim (August 10, 2008). "Farley pleased with Panthers' first week of practice". The Courier. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/local/article_da6d6c69-ca5b-5ac8-bb34-888c45fce358.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Sullivan, Jim (November 11, 2008). "Farley fusses over playoff talk". The Courier. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/local/article_b72d7d6d-aa0b-5842-9e91-e98fe9938f9a.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "UNI's Ruffin named MVFC co-defensive player of year". The Courier. November 25, 2009. http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/article_f0720022-d9ed-11de-a214-001cc4c002e0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- McLane, Jeff (April 27, 2010). "Eagles add 11 rookies - 3 of them big blockers". philly.com. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100427_Eagles_add_11_rookies_-_3_of_them_big_blockers_1.html. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- McLane, Jeff (July 9, 2011). "Eagles' Howard working to stay fit, working for a roster spot". philly.com. http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-09/sports/29755560_1_eagles-coach-andy-reid-linemen-eagles-howard. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- Jets Media Relations Department (November 25, 2011). "T Howard Signed to Practice Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on November 27, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/63WOQsf6Z. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Jets Right Tackle Wayne Hunter Benched; Austin Howard To Replace Him As Starter". CBS News New York. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/23/jets-right-tackle-wayne-hunter-benched-austin-howard-to-replace-him-as-starter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Wesseling, Chris (March 12, 2014). "Austin Howard, Oakland Raiders strike five-year deal". National Football League. Archived from the original on March 12, 2014. http://www.webcitation.org/6O2B0tJTX. Retrieved March 12, 2014.