|Date||August 1, 1987|
|Arena||Pittsburgh Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|MVP||Gary Mullen, WR/DB, Denver|
|Ironman of the Game||Steve Trimble, WR/DB, Denver|
|Winning Coach||Tim Marcum|
|Losing Coach||Joe Haerin|
|Announcers||Bob Rathbun, Lee Corso|
Arena Bowl '87 (or Arena Bowl I) was the Arena Football League's very first Arena Bowl. In this match-up, it pitted the #2 Denver Dynamite (Arena Football) against the #1 Pittsburgh Gladiators. Both teams finished their seasons at 4-2, yet the Gladiators led in points for (268-261) and points against (199-252).
This is the only ArenaBowl game to be played outdoors, as the Civic Arena opened its roof for the game.
The Dynamite got off to an early start with a fumble recovery for a touchdown by OL/DL Phil Forte, along with a two-yard touchdown run by FB/LB Richard Prather (with a failed two-point conversion) in the first quarter.
In the second quarter, Denver's domination continued with Quarterback Whit Taylor completing a 26-yard touchdown pass to WR/DB Gary Mullen (with another failed two-point conversion) for the only score of the period.
In the third quarter, the Dynamite continued their destruction with Taylor completing a 32-yard touchdown pass to WR/LB Richard Rodgers, along with WR/DB Steve Trimble returning an interception 47 yards for a touchdown.
In the fourth quarter, the Gladiators finally managed to score as Quarterback Mike Hohensee completed an 11-yard touchdown pass to WR/LB Russell Hairston (with a successful two-point conversion). Denver would wrap up the game with Taylor and Mullen hooking up with each other on a five-yard touchdown pass and even a 19-yard touchdown pass (failed PAT). Pittsburgh's final strike came from Quarterback Brendan Folmar to WR/DB Rodney Richmond.
- DEN - Forte 0 Fumble Recovery (Morales kick failed)
- DEN - Prather 2 run (Taylor pass failed)
- DEN - Mullen 26 pass from Taylor (Taylor pass failed)
- DEN - Rodgers 32 pass from Taylor (Morales kick)
- DEN - Trimble 47 Interception Return (Morales kick)
- PIT - Hairston 11 pass from Hohensee (Hohensee pass)
- DEN - Mullen 5 pass from Taylor (Morales kick)
- DEN - Mullen 19 pass from Taylor (Morales kick failed)
- PIT - Richmond 14 pass from Folmer (Folmer pass)