Barnes in 2011.
|No. 95 New York Jets|
|Date of birth:October 19, 1984|
|Place of birth: Miami, Florida|
|Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||Weight: 251 lb (114 kg)|
|College: Florida International|
|NFL Draft: 2007 / Round: 4 / Pick: 134|
|Debuted in 2007 for the Baltimore Ravens|
|Roster status: Injured Reserve|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2013|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Antwan Edward Barnes (born October 19, 1984) is an American football outside linebacker for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the fourth round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Florida International.
College career[edit | edit source]
After graduating from Miami Norland High School, barnes played college football at Florida International University in Miami, Florida where he was a 2006 All-Sun Belt Conference selection and the school's all-time sacks leader with 22. On April 29, 2007, he became the first player in FIU history to be drafted by a National Football League team when he was selected in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Baltimore Ravens[edit | edit source]
Barnes was a promising rookie in 2007, notching 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 10 solo tackles. During a 2007 preseason game, Barnes delivered a blind side hit on Philadelphia Eagles punter Saverio Rocca, knocking off his helmet. Even though officials did not penalize Barnes during the game, the league fined him $12,500 for the hit. In 2008, on a roster deep with LBs, he made a name for himself as a stand out special teams player, also making his first post-season appearance. In 2009, Barnes started the year with his first career interception (against the San Diego Chargers, his future team), but then saw no action for several games. The team finally started using him late in the season, after the defense suffering an overall lack of pass rush, and he came in and notched 3 sacks and 10 solo tackles, as well as a force fumble.
Philadelphia Eagles[edit | edit source]
Barnes was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a 2011 seventh-round draft pick on September 4, 2010. He was released on October 9, after being sparsely used and posting only three tackles.
San Diego Chargers[edit | edit source]
Barnes was signed by the San Diego Chargers on October 12, 2010. He made an immediate impact, notching 2 sacks on Tom Brady in a game against the New England Patriots. As a backup pass-rush specialist, he ended the season in San Diego with 4.5 sacks and 15 tackles. On July 27, 2011, the Chargers re-signed Barnes to a two-year contract.
In the 2011 season, he established himself as one of the top pass rushers on the Chargers team, starting 5 games, and notching 41 tackles, 11 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles. His best career game came against his former team, the Baltimore Ravens, on a prime-time December 18th game in San Diego, where he garnered 4 sacks against QB Joe Flacco, along with 6 total tackles.
New York Jets[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/playerinfo?playerId=10577.
- "Ravens rookie Barnes fined for big hit against Eagles". Carroll County (Maryland) Times. 2007-08-24. http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/08/24/sports/gsports082407.txt.[dead link]
- McPherson, Chris (September 4, 2010). "Eagles Trade For DE Barnes From Ravens". philadelphiaeagles.com. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=21758. Retrieved 2010-09-04.[dead link]
- Cimini, Rich (18 March 2013). "Jets sign Antwan Barnes". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6FGmcek87. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Fensom, Michael (9 October 2013). "Antwan Barnes, Jets' linebacker, lost for season with knee injury". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 9 October 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6KFHy8DgH. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
[edit | edit source]