| refer to caption |
Zettel with the Cleveland Browns in 2019
|No. 97 – Cleveland Browns|
|Born:||August 9, 1992|
West Branch, Michigan
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||275 lb (125 kg)|
|High school:||Ogemaw Heights High School|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 6 / Pick: 202|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Anthony Joseph Zettel (born August 9, 1992) is an American football defensive end for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Penn State. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
High school careerEdit
Zettel attended Ogemaw Heights High School in West Branch, Michigan, where he was a first-team all-state selection as a senior for head coach Andrew Pratley. He recorded 82 solo tackles, 25 assisted tackles and dropped the quarterback in the backfield seven times as a senior.
Zettel also lettered in baseball, basketball and track & field at Ogemaw Heights. As a senior in track, he set the Michigan high school state record in the shot put with a toss of 61 feet, 8 inches (18.83 meters), earning his second straight state championship and breaking both the school record (60'9") and the Division II state record (58'8"). That same year, he finished second in the discus with a heave of 175 feet, 4 inches (53.46 meters). He also participated in sprints, running the 100-meter dash in 11.55 seconds and helping Ogemaw's 400m sprint relay post a season-low 45.95 in 2010.
Zettel played inside and outside during a 2014 first-team All-Big Ten season at Penn State and recorded 17 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and three interceptions. He was moved inside in 2015 and his production dipped a bit with 47 tackles, 11 for loss, four sacks and six pass breakups.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 4 in||277 lb||4.81 s||4.39 s||7.63 s||30.5 in||9 ft 1 in||28 rep|
Zettel was drafted in the sixth round (202nd overall) by the Detroit Lions in the 2016 NFL draft. He recorded his first career sack against New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning in Week 15 of the 2016 NFL season.
On September 5, 2018, Zettel was waived by the Lions.
- ↑ "Anthony Zettel sets standard with new state record in the shot put for Ogemaw Heights". http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-2470864148470980577/anthony-zettel-sets-standard-with-new-state-record-in-the-shot-put-for-ogemaw-heights/.
- ↑ "Seventy-five yard passes? 375-yard drives? 92-mph fastballs? For Penn State's Anthony Zettel, why not?". http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/12/seventy-five_yard_passes_375-y.html.
- ↑ "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Anthony Zettel". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/anthony-zettel?id=2555268.
- ↑ Birkett, Dave (April 30, 2016). "Detroit Lions add Penn State, Tawas City DL Anthony Zettel". Detroit Free Press. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/04/30/detroit-lions-nfl-draft-anthony-zettel/83760092/. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- ↑ "Lions awarded DE Romeo Okwara via waivers from New York Giants". https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-awarded-de-romeo-okwara-via-waivers-from-new-york-giants.
- ↑ "Browns claim DL Anthony Zettel". September 6, 2018. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-claim-dl-anthony-zettel.