|No. 79, 73|
|Date of birth:February 16, 1981|
|Place of birth: San Antonio, Texas|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||Weight: 315 lb (143 kg)|
|College: Texas Christian|
|NFL Draft: 2005 / Round: 5 / Pick: 162|
|Debuted in 2006 for the Miami Dolphins|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Anthony Abayomi Alabi (pron.: //; born February 16, 1981 in San Antonio, Texas) is a former American football offensive tackle. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fifth round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at Texas Christian.
Alabi attended Antonian College Preparatory High School in San Antonio, where he was a four-year letterman in football, and also lettered in basketball and track and field (shot put and discus). He earned all-district and all-state honors in football and led the team in sacks (13) and tackles (82) as a senior. He was a two-time state champion in track. Alabi was inducted in the 2013-14 Antonian Athletics Hall of Fame class.
Alabi attended the United States Naval Academy for a short time in 1999 before heading to Texas Christian University (TCU), where he was a four-year letterman, starting his final three seasons and making 35 career starts in college. He was a defensive lineman before moving to the offensive line during his redshirt season in 2000. He started all 12 games at left tackle as a sophomore, as TCU led the Conference USA by averaging 203.2 yards rushing per outing. As a junior, he was part of a line that paved the way for an offense that averaged more than 200 net rushing yards and 200 net passing yards per game - one of only six Division I schools to accomplish that feat. In his senior season, the offense averaged 32.9 points per game. He earned first-team All-Conference USA accolades each of his final two years, during which time he opened a combined 23 games.
Alabi was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fifth round (162nd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft by former head coach Nick Saban. The pick used to select him was acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs in the deal that sent cornerback Patrick Surtain to the Chiefs. On July 22, the Dolphins signed Alabi to a four-year contract that included a signing bonus of $158,000.
Alabi was tried at left tackle during training camp, and shortly after returning to practice from an ankle injury he was shifted to right tackle. He played in a reserve role during the team's five preseason games, and was inactive for all 16 regular season contests. He nursed an elbow injury during November which caused him to miss practice time.
Alabi saw his first regular season action in 2006, playing in six games during the year. He made his NFL debut in a reserve role on October 1 at the Houston Texans. He also saw extensive action on December 17 at the Buffalo Bills following injury to Damion McIntosh.
On February 11, Alabi was one of nine players let go by the Dolphins.
Kansas City Chiefs
On February 13, just two days after being waived by the Dolphins, Alabi was claimed by the Kansas City Chiefs. Alabi was released by the Chiefs on August 30, 2008.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
He earned a BS degree in criminal justice with a minor in business at Texas Christian and later, while in the NFL, a Master's in Liberal Arts with a criminology focus.
- "Anthony Alabi (ACP '99) - Athletic Hall of Fame Inductees - Antonian College Preparatory High School". antonian.org. https://www.antonian.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=237028&type=d&pREC_ID=546348. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Chiefs Place Merritt on NFI; Release 21 Others". kcchiefs.com. August 30, 2008. Archived from the original on 5 September 2008. http://web.archive.org/web/20080905185800/http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/30/chiefs_place_merritt_on_nfi_release_21_others/. Retrieved 2008-09-16.[dead link]
- "Early Signing Period". buccaneers.com. January 7, 2009. https://www.buccaneers.com/news/early-signing-period-2187273. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Anthony Alabi - News". nbcsports.com. January 6, 2009. https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/11905/anthony-alabi/news. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Anthony Alabi Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses". spotrac.com. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/anthony-alabi-6021/transactions/. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Anthony Alabi Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More". sportsforecaster.com. http://sportsforecaster.com/nfl/player/6777/trans. Retrieved April 7, 2021.