|Born||Angela Sue Rypien|
October 22, 1990
Reston, Virginia, U.S.
|Occupation||American football quarterback|
In July 2013, Matt Vensel, writing in the Baltimore Sun, called Rypien the most prominent player in the league. Most players in the league play for fun, or for the local fame, and the possibility of local endorsement and appearance fees, and need to hold down a day-job. Rypien, on the other hand, is able to support herself solely from working as a model or spokesperson for firms such as Under Armour, EyeBlack and TheraPearl. Prior to playing football, was a stylist. She has been hired by two different teams in the Lingerie Football League.
She served as a quarterback for the Seattle Mist in 2011. She signed to play for the Baltimore Charm in 2012. But the league management decided to cancel the 2012 season in the USA, and concentrate instead on exhibition matches in the USA, and promotion of foreign leagues.
Rypien is one of the daughters of quarterback Mark Rypien, the only Canadian chosen as Super Bowl MVP when his team, the Washington Redskins, won Super Bowl XXVI, and former Boise State quarterback Brett Rypien is Angela's cousin.
NBC News reported they were surprised that the Legends Football League allowed free agency, but added "But if you're the daughter of former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien, and a pretty intense player in your own right, I guess you do."
According to technology journalist Patrick Seitz, the league lacked stars in its early seasons, so the limited press coverage the league received treated it solely as a "peep show". He asserted that Rypien and Krista Ford, due to the reflected notability of having famous relatives, were two potential stars the league could offer in its 2011 season—to counter the peep-show coverage.
References[edit | edit source]
- Patrick Seitz (2011-07-30). "Lingerie Football League needs stars". Techmediatainment. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/679ZTVq8m?url=http://techmediatainment.blogspot.ca/2011/07/lingerie-football-league-needs-stars.html. Retrieved 2012-04-22. "For season three, the LFL has two stars in the making: Seattle Mist quarterback Angela Rypien, the daughter of Super Bowl MVP quarterback Mark Rypien, and Toronto Triumph linebacker Krista Ford, niece of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and daughter of City Councillor Doug Ford. They're relatives of sports and political figures, so that gives news writers a hook to cover the games. So far, the LFL has gotten scant coverage from the mainstream media, which treats it like a peep show. Adding stars can only help the fledgling league."
- Bryan Rose (2014-01-14). "Mariners' Taijuan Walker dating Lingerie Football star Angela Rypien". Fan sided. Archived from the original on 2014-01-30. http://fansided.com/2014/01/16/mariners-taijuan-walker-dating-lingerie-football-star-angela-rypien-photos/#!boi9Gd. Retrieved 2014-07-27. "It appears Seattle Mariners top prospect Taijuan Walker has everything going for him. He's one of the premier young players in all of Major League Baseball. He secured a nice $800,000 dollar signing bonus when the Mariners signed him in 2010. Oh – and he just so happens to be dating Lingerie Football star Angela Rypien, who just so happens to be the daughter of former NFL quarterback Mark Rypien."
- Rick Reilly (2011-11-02). "Family Tradition". ESPN. Archived from the original on 2014-03-26. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7185039/rick-reilly-rypien-family-lingerie-football. Retrieved 2014-07-27. "When Super Bowl MVP quarterback Mark Rypien lost his 3-year-old son, Andrew, he grieved a thousand things, one of which was this: He'd never get to watch him play football. Fast forward to this coming Friday night, when he will pace, fritter and sweat watching another one of his kids play quarterback – his daughter."
- Matt Vensel (2013-07-11). "Charm's Rypien aims to use LFL 'cover girl' status as route to bigger fame: 22-year-old daughter of former Redskins QB is most prominent player in league, but she sees that as only the start". Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on 2014-07-28. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-07-11/sports/bs-sp-angela-rypien-legends-football-league-0712-20130711_1_angela-rypien-baltimore-charm-seattle-mist. Retrieved 2018-02-04. "But right now, the 22-year-old has to settle for being the starting quarterback for the Baltimore Charm and the most famous player in the Legends Football League. When not throwing passes for the Charm, Rypien uses the LFL platform, along with her looks and her famous last name, to rack up frequent flyer miles, model for magazine covers and pull in paychecks to appear at local events."
- Gerry Spratt (2011-10-13). "Mark Rypien watches daughter's Lingerie Football debut". Seattle Post Intelligencer. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2011/10/13/mark-rypien-watches-daughters-lingerie-football-debut. Retrieved 2014-07-28. "Angela Rypien was also called for a personal foul for punching an opponent, but 'I didn't punch her – I only forearmed her,' she said. Tough talk for woman whose day job is personal stylist."
- John Blanchette (2011-05-13). "Blanchette: It's natural for Angela Rypien". The Spokesman-Review. Archived from the original on 2011-12-04. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/may/13/blanchette-its-natural-angela-rypien. Retrieved 2014-07-28. "It was just last fall when, living in Spokane, she caught a game on TV and decided this was for her. In November, she began driving to Seattle on weekends, working out with the Mist and trying to work herself onto the roster for the final game – which ended up getting canceled when the opposing team from Dallas folded. Since then, she's moved to Seattle, landed a job at Nordstrom – as a stylist, not selling shoes – and lives with her older sister, Ambre, who is fulfilling an internship with Jamie Moyer's Foundation."
- Sean Jensen (2012-04-23). "Passion For position". Chicago Sun Times. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/679Zqep1T?url=http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/12091902-419/passionfor-position.html. Retrieved 2012-04-23. "After an uneven season for the Seattle Mist in the Lingerie Football League, Angela will play closer to home, joining the Baltimore Charm. Her father, Angela said, has promised to attend all her home games."
- Zach Wilt (2012-04-13). "Lingerie Football League Will Take The 2012 Season Off". Baltimore Sports Report. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/679cD43oH?url=http://baltimoresportsreport.com/lingerie-football-league-will-take-the-2012-season-off-26988.html. "Here in Baltimore, ... the Charm's tryout will feature Angela Rypien, daughter of former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien. If that doesn't get you pumped for some LFL action in 2013, nothing will."
- Jay Corn (2012-04-11). "Lingerie Football League Conducting Open Tryouts in Long Lake this Saturday: Current and former Vikings will be among those assessing potential Minnesota Valkyrie prospects.". Lake Minnetonka Patch. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/679d276Mu?url=http://lakeminnetonka.patch.com/articles/lingerie-football-league-conducting-open-tryouts-in-long-lake-this-saturday. Retrieved 2012-04-23. "The league currently consists of 12 teams from cities such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Cleveland and Philadelphia. Former NFL quarterback Mark Rypien's daughter, Angela, will be the new quarterback of the Baltimore Charm next season after spending her rookie year in Seattle."
- "Mistless in Seattle: Lingerie Football League cancels 2012 US season". Seattle Post Intelligencer. 2012-04-12. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/67ALhpz1G?url=http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2012/04/12/mistless-in-seattle-lingerie-football-league-cancels-2012-us-season. Retrieved 2018-02-04. "Meanwhile, this seems like as good a time as any to note that Angela Rypien, daughter of former WSU and Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien, is no longer a quarterback for the Seattle Mist. She is moving to the Baltimore Charm, where she'll ostensibly start in April 2013."
- Rick Chandler (2012-03-30). "Apparently the Lingerie Football League has free agency, and Mark Rypien's daughter just signed with Baltimore". NBC Sports. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. https://www.webcitation.org/679b4ZXYm?url=http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/apparently-the-lingerie-football-league-has-free-agency-and-mark-rypiens-daughter-just-switched-teams. Retrieved 2018-02-04. "I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I didn't even know the Lingerie Football League had free agency, let alone free agency moves. I'm not even certain all of their players get paid. But if you're the daughter of former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien, and a pretty intense player in your own right, I guess you do."
[edit | edit source]
- Tom Horvath (2011-12-11). "A duel Q and A, with Angela and Mark Rypien: A Lingerie Football League QB looking for exposure, and a Super Bowl MVP looking for his daughter's well being". http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/2011/12/15/q-and-a-with-an. Retrieved 2014-07-28. "Some people appreciate the fact that as a great parent, he's supporting me no matter what. But there are others who kind of look down on it. I don't necessarily understand it. I think as players, we wear more clothes than the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, but they're not looked down on. It's been interesting to me to see how he's handled the attention I've got from this. He's dealt with his fair share of being in the limelight and hype, and now having to see his daughter go through some of it, I think I have a new respect for him to see how he's dealing with it all."
- Jim Weber (2011-10-13). "Super Bowl MVP Rypien's daughter carrying on the football name—in the Lingerie League". Yahoo News. Archived from the original on 2011-10-16. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Super-Bowl-MVP-Rypien-8217-s-daughter-carrying-?urn=nfl-wp9432. Retrieved 2014-07-28.