|Andrew W. Smith|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Andrew William Smith was an American football player and coach and homeopathic physician.
Smith grew up in Fredonia, Kansas and enrolled at the Homeopathic Medical School at the University of Michigan, receiving his degree in 1912. While attending medical school, he played football for the 1909 Michigan Wolverines football team.Smith was an assistant coach for the Michigan Wolverines football team in 1911 and 1912. In August 1914, he was hired as the athletic director head football coach at Throop College of Technology (now known as California Institute of Technology) in Pasadena, California. Upon his hiring, The Lancet-Clinic reported:
"Dr. James A. B. Scherer, president of Throop College of Technology, Pasadena, Cal., has introduced the latest thing in the way of athletic directors. He procured the services of a 'medical coach' for the college next year. The man to whom this title attaches is Dr. A. W. Smith of Indiana. He will both teach the Throop students how to pay football and attend them in case of injury."Smith continued to coach the Throop football team through at least 1917. He also served as an assistant football coach for the California Golden Bears football team.
- ↑ 1912 Michiganensian, p. 185.
- ↑ "1909 Football Team". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/fbteam/1909fbt.htm.
- ↑ 1912 Michiganensian, p. 219.
- ↑ "1911 Football Team". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/fbteam/1911fbt.htm.
- ↑ "1912 Football Team". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/fbteam/1912fbt.htm.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "News from the Classes". The Michigan Alumnus. October 1915. p. 60. http://books.google.com/books?id=zRlYAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ↑ "Medical News". JAMA.: The Journal of the American Medical Association, Volume 63. p. 1039. http://books.google.com/books?id=2jUcAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1039&dq=%22andrew+w.+smith%22+throop&hl=en&ei=dxHlTrjNEqajiAKl243OBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22andrew%20w.%20smith%22%20throop&f=false.
- ↑ "News Notes". The Lancet-Clinic. August 22, 1914. p. 201. http://books.google.com/books?id=IqLlAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ↑ Intercollegiate Athletic Calendar. 1917. p. 204. http://books.google.com/books?id=F_WfAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false.