| refer to caption |
Adams in the 2017 NFL season.
|No. 24 – Detroit Lions|
|Born:||October 28, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||202 lb (92 kg)|
|High school:||Woodward Academy|
(College Park, Georgia)
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Andrew Adams (born October 28, 1992) is an American football safety for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Connecticut Huskies.
Andrew Adams started 33 games over the course of his college tenure including all 12 in 2014 and all 13 in 2015. He was one of four captains his senior year with the Huskies. Led the Huskies with 103 tackles as well as adding three interceptions and seven passes defended in his final season as a Husky.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11 in||201 lb||4.54 s||1.54 s||2.60 s||4.32 s||6.96 s||33 in||9 ft 10 in||24 rep|
New York Giants
On September 3, 2016, the New York Giants waived Adams as part of their final roster cuts, but signed him to their practice squad the following day. On September 23, 2016, Adams was promoted from practice squad to the active roster. On September 25, 2016, Adams made one tackle during a 29–27 loss against the Washington Redskins in Week 3. On October 3, 2016, Adams earned his first career start after starting free safety Darian Thompson suffered a foot injury and backup Nat Berhe was inactive due to a concussion. He finished the Giants’ 24–10 loss at the Minnesota Vikings with six combined tackles and one pass deflection. On November 6, 2016, Adams collected a season-high nine combined tackles, deflected two passes, and made his first career interception during a 28–23 win against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 9. Adams intercepted a pass by Eagles’ quarterback Carson Wentz, that was initially intended for wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, and returned it for a 19-yard gain in the first quarter. He finished his rookie season in 2016 with 46 combined tackles (31 solo), five pass deflections, and one interception in 14 games and 13 starts. He received an overall grade of 79.4 from Pro Football Focus, which was the second best grade among rookie safeties in 2016 behind Keanu Neal (80.8).
During training camp, Adams competed to be a starting free safety against Darian Thompson. Head coach Ben McAdoo named Adams the backup free safety, behind Darian Thompson, to start the regular season. In Week 17, he collected a season-high seven solo tackles and deflected a pass during a 18–10 win against the Washington Redskins. On December 4, 2017, the New York Giants fired head coach Ben McAdoo after they fell to a 2–10 record. He finished the 2017 NFL season with 34 solo tackles and two pass deflections in 16 games and four starts.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On September 26, 2018, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed Adams after placing Chris Conte on injured reserve. Head coach Dirk Koetter named Adams the backup free safety behind Jordan Whitehead. On December 2, 2018, Adams made one tackle, three pass deflections, and made a career-high three interceptions during a 24–17 victory against the Carolina Panthers. In Week 15, Adams collected a season-high seven combined tackles and deflected a pass as the Buccaneers lost 27-20 at the Dallas Cowboys. He finished the season with 38 combined tackles (29 solo), nine pass deflections, and four interceptions in 13 games and four starts.
Buccaneers franchise records
- "22 – Andrew Adams". http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/andrew_adams_763717.html. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Andrew Adams, DS #13 FS, Connecticut". http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104714&draftyear=2016&genpos=FS.
- Eisen, Michael (May 6, 2016). "Giants sign four draft picks & 14 undrafted free agents". Archived from the original on August 3, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170803005711/http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-sign-four-draft-picks--14-undrafted-free-agents/bce88848-ed81-4d6a-8e99-26f19049be9d. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Spotrac.com: Andrew Adams contract". https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/andrew-adam-19523/.
- Eisen, Michael (September 3, 2016). "New York Giants announce 20 roster moves". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-York-Giants-announce-20-roster-moves/d7b93d76-3186-40dc-b759-c622015e0159. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- Eisen, Michael (September 4, 2016). "Giants announce practice squad; claim DT Robert Thomas". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-announce-practice-squad-claim-DT-Robert-Thomas/e8402e2e-7f9b-4c94-95db-b9d10f79333e. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- Eisen, Michael (September 23, 2016). "Giants promote safety Andrew Adams". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-promote-safety-Andrew-Adams/a70612d2-99f7-4444-bfcd-c54e0d20cc49. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Giants’ Injury News: Mark Herzlich & Nat Berhe out (concussions)". November 27, 2016. https://www.bigblueview.com/giants-browns-2016-nfl-schedule-week-12-preview-final-score-recap-news-analysis/2016/11/27/13757764/ny-giants-injury-news-nat-berhe-concussion-odell-beckham-leaves-game.
- "Giants rookie Andrew Adams ready to erase memory of costly penalty". September 30, 2016. https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/09/giants_rookie_andrew_adams_ready_to_erase_memory_o.html.
- "Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants - November 6th, 2016". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201611060nyg.htm.
- "NFL Player stats: Andrew Adams (career)". http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewadams/2556456/careerstats.
- "Giants' Andrew Adams is latest example draft goes beyond Round 7". April 24, 2017. http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/51548/giants-andrew-adams-the-latest-example-draft-extends-beyond-seven-rounds.
- "Giants will have open competition for final safety spot". June 4, 2017. https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Darian-Thompson-Andrew-Adams-New-York-Giants-competition-at-safety-53073971/.
- "A look at the depth chart for the 2017 Giants". September 9, 2017. https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2017/09/09/look-depth-chart-2017-giants/646540001/.
- "NFL Player stats: Andrew Adams (2017)". http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewadams/2556456/gamelogs?season=2017.
- "New York Giants fire coach Ben McAdoo after 2-10 start". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000887801/article/new-york-giants-fire-coach-ben-mcadoo-after-210-start.
- "Giants' Andrew Adams, Darian Thompson enjoying friendly competition". July 6, 2018. https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/06/new-york-giants-andrew-adams-darian-thompson-enjoying-friendly-competition/.
- Eisen, Michael (September 1, 2018). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". https://www.giants.com/news/new-york-giants-announce-53-man-roster.
- Smith, Scott (September 26, 2018). "Bucs Sign Safety Andrew Adams". https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-sign-safety-andrew-adams.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Carolina Panthers Recap: The Andrew Adams Show". December 2, 2018. https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/12/2/18121763/nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers-vs-carolina-panthers-recap.
- "Lions sign free agents OL Oday Aboushi and S Andrew Adams". Detroit Lions. March 14, 2019. https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-sign-free-agents-ol-oday-aboushi-and-s-andrew-adams. Retrieved March 14, 2019.