Okoye in the 2011 NFL season.
|No. -- Free Agent|
|Date of birth:June 10, 1987|
|Place of birth: Anambra, Nigeria|
|High School: Lee High School|
|Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||Weight: 295 lb (134 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2007 / Round: 1 / Pick: 10|
|Debuted in 2007 for the Houston Texans|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Amobi Okoye (born June 10, 1987) is a Nigerian-American defensive tackle of American football who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Houston Texans tenth overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisville.
Okoye was born in Anambra State, Nigeria, a member of the Igbo ethnic group. He moved to Huntsville, Alabama in the United States when he was 12 years old. After only spending two weeks in middle school, he tested into the 9th grade. He first started playing football as a sophomore at Lee High School, knowing virtually nothing about the game before his high school coach suggested he go play Madden NFL football to learn. By the time he was a senior, he won first-team All-State honors as both a defensive lineman and offensive lineman. Because he shares the same surname as former Kansas City Chiefs running back Christian Okoye, some sources have claimed that the two are related. Amobi says they are not related, but the two families live on adjoining land in Nigeria.
At Louisville, Okoye majored in biology. He later switched his major to psychology and graduated a semester early, thereby completing his degree in three and a half years. At 16, he became the youngest player in the NCAA. Okoye played in all 13 games as a true freshman at defensive tackle and was credited with 17 tackles and a sack. He recorded then-career-best three tackles against Tulane and recorded his first career sack against UTEP.
As a sophomore, Okoye appeared in 11 of 12 games, recording 26 tackles and a sack. Okoye's only missed game was against East Carolina, because of a shoulder injury. Okoye also made his first collegiate start against Army, recording a career-high seven tackles.
In his junior season of 2005, he recorded 23 tackles and four tackles for a loss. In the biggest game of the year, against the West Virginia Mountaineers, Okoye recorded four tackles. He missed the Florida Atlantic matchup due to a foot sprain. Against Kentucky, Okoye registered two tackles and a fumble recovery. Okoye also totaled three tackles against South Florida.
As a senior in 2006, Okoye finally started all 13 games. In those 13 games, he registered 55 tackles, eight sacks, and recovered three fumbles. Okoye garnered Associated Press Second-Team All-American honors and first-team All-Big East honors. As the NCAA's youngest senior at 19 years old, Okoye garnered first-round draft status during the season.
During the Senior Bowl, Okoye's stock rose dramatically with strong practice and game performances.
2007 NFL Draft
Okoye was drafted by the Houston Texans in the first round of the 2007 NFL draft. He is the youngest player to ever be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft at only 19 years old. He was the highest draft pick to come out of the University of Louisville since the AFL-NFL merger.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 in||302 lb||4.85 s||1.65 s||2.87 s||4.44 s||7.46 s||30 in||9 ft 3 in||29 rep||X|
Okoye signed a five-year deal with the Texans on July 26, which allowed him to begin training camp with his teammates the next day. With his first start, Okoye became the youngest player to appear in an NFL game since 1967.
Okoye was named Defensive Rookie of the Month for September 2007 after leading the AFC with four sacks. He is the youngest player ever to receive the award.
On July 30, 2011, after four seasons in Houston, he was released.
First stint with Bears
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Second stint with Bears
- "Texans Sign Top Pick Okoye, Free Agent McCardell". Sports Network (via KFOXTV.com). 2007-07-27. http://www.kfoxtv.com/nfl/13768163/detail.html. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "Amobi Okoye". NFLDraftScout.com (via Sportsline.com). CBS. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/436548. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Jenkins, Lee (October 15, 2007). "No More Kid Stuff". Time Inc. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108124/2/index.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Huge for His Size". ESPN The Magazine. 2007-04-15. Archived from the original on 19 September 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070919095115/http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2830642. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Amobi Okoye may see action". Scout.com. 2003-08-27. http://louisville.scout.com/2/172370.html. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Manfull, Megan (2007-04-28). "Texans select Louisville DT Amobi Okoye". Houston Chronicle. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4757683.html.
- "NFL Draft History". Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20071022180431/http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=L&collegeName=Louisville&abbrFlag=0&type=school. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Williams recovers fumble for TD, has two sacks in win - Game Notes". ESPN.com. 2007-09-09. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270909034. Retrieved 2007-09-09.
- "Okoye named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month". HoustonTexans.com. 2012-08-30. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3718. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "The Official Website of the Chicago Bears". Chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/DailyBlogs.asp?DAILY_BLOG_DATE=07/30/11. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Source: Bucs, Amobi Okoye agree". Espn.go.com. 2012-04-07. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7787701/2012-nfl-free-agency-tampa-bay-buccaneers-agree-amobi-okoye-source-says. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Amobi Okoye to return to Bears - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. 2012-08-31. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/14847776-419/amobi-okoye-to-return-to-bears.html. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Mayer, Larry. "Okoye thrilled to return to Bears". Chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Okoye-thrilled-to-return-to-Bears/fbd972cc-b6fb-4bf6-b6a4-ee973845cfc2. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-11-27). "Bears add veteran Gurode to offensive line". Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-add-veteran-Gurode-to-offensive-line/d4f20455-135a-4dca-ad32-6ce38a682e5a. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Report: Bears try out two quarterbacks". Yahoo! Sports. 2012-12-12. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-bears-try-two-quarterbacks-170013212--nfl.html. Retrieved 2012-12-13.