|No. 97 Calgary Stampeders|
|Date of birth:July 17, 1989|
|Place of birth: Brownsville, Tennessee|
|Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||Weight: 237 lb (108 kg)|
|Undrafted in 2012|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Tennessee Titans|
*Offseason and/or practice squad member only
|Roster status: practice roster|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 16, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Alex Watkins (born July 17, 1989) is an American football defensive lineman that currently plays for the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. He was previously a member of the Tennessee Titans and played college football at Alabama.
Watkins played high school football at Haywood High School in Brownsville, Tennessee. He committed to play for Alabama as part of Nick Saban's first recruiting class as head coach of the Crimson Tide in January 2007.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Brownsville, Tennessee||Haywood High School||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)||225 lb (102 kg)||4.7||Jun 18,|
|Scout: Rivals:75px ESPN grade: 77|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 63 (WDE)|
|‡ Refers to 40 yard dash|
Note: In many cases, Scout and Rivals may conflict in their listings of height, weight and 40 time.
In these cases, an average of the two was taken. ESPN grades are on a 100-point scale.
At Alabama, Watkins redshirted the 2007 season and did not see any playing time for the 2008 season during his redshirt freshman year. During the 2009 season, Watkins appeared in three games as part of the squad that captured the 2009 Bowl Championship Series championship. Over his final two seasons with the Crimson Tide, Watkins played primarily as a reserve and on special teams in both the 2010 and 2011 seasons. During the 2011 campaign, Watkins broke his arm in their game against Tennessee. He returned to the field in their next game after their bye week and played against LSU with 23 staples and a plate in his left forearm.
In the days that followed the 2012 NFL Draft, Watkins signed with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent in April 2012. Watkins remained with the Titans through much of training camp before he was waived on August 10, 2012, after he sustained an ankle injury during practice. On March 11, 2013, Watkins was signed by the CFL's Calgary Stampeders.
- Bone, Andrew (January 16, 2007). "Recurits impressed during visits". The Tuscaloosa News (Google News Archives): p. C1. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=eyMfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=racEAAAAIBAJ&dq=alex-watkins%20alabama%20signing-day&pg=6116%2C64434. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Alex Watkins profile". RollTide.com. http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/watkins_alex00.html. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Bama's Watkins makes swift return from broken arm". KHOU.com. November 10, 2011. http://www.khou.com/sports/more/133639173.html. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. "2009–10 Cumulative Season Statistics: Overall Defensive Statistics". RollTide.com. http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/teamcume.html#TEAM.DEF. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. "2010–11 Cumulative Season Statistics: Overall Defensive Statistics". RollTide.com. http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/teamcume.html#TEAM.DEF. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. "2011–12 Cumulative Season Statistics: Overall Defensive Statistics". RollTide.com. http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html#TEAM.DEF. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Undrafted free-agent deals for all 32 NFL teams". NFL.com. April 29, 2012. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bb384/article/undrafted-freeagent-deals-for-all-32-nfl-teams. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- Glennon, John (August 10, 2012). "Titans waive linebacker Alex Watkins". The Tennessean. http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2012/08/10/titans-waive-lb-alex-watkins/. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Stamps sign four with NFL experience". The Calgary Herald. March 13, 2013. http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Stamps+sign+four+with+experience+release+Obby+Khan/8081713/story.html. Retrieved March 18, 2013.