Rubin with the Cleveland Browns in 2012
|Date of birth:July 25, 1986|
|Place of birth: Fort Belvoir, Virginia|
|College: Iowa State|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 6 / Pick: 190|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Cleveland Browns ( 2008– 2014)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Ahtyba Rubin (// ah-TAH-bə; born July 25, 1986) is an American football defensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Iowa State.
Born in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, Rubin graduated from Escambia High School in Pensacola, Florida in 2004, the same high school as former Cleveland Browns teammate Trent Richardson, and NFL Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith. He then went on to attend Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas. In his freshman year, he played defensive line, but was converted into an offense lineman for his sophomore year. Rubin made the adjustment with significant success and earned all-conference and honorable mention All-America honors in 2006.
Regarded as a three-star recruit out of junior college, Rubin was recruited by a number of schools, and eventually picked Iowa State over TCU. He was switched back to defensive line in his junior year, and started the last nine games of the 2006 season. He finished the year with 34 tackles, four tackles for loss, and a sack.
As a senior, Rubin played in all of the Cyclones' games, registering 42 tackles (with four for loss) and recording 1.5 sacks.
2008 NFL DraftEdit
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2¾ in||315 lb||5.20 s||1.74 s||2.96 s||5.00 s||8.05 s||28 in||8 ft 10 in||35 rep|
Rubin was selected in the sixth round (190th overall) by the Cleveland Browns, and was signed on July 22, 2008.
He filled out a backup role for Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers in 2008 and 2009, until Rogers went down with a lower leg injury in week 12 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Rubin has since become the Browns starting nose tackle. In the 2010 offseason the Browns traded defensive end Corey Williams to the Detroit Lions, moved former starting nose Tackle Shaun Rogers to defensive end and promoted Rubin to starter due to his performance in 2009. 2010 was the best season of Rubin's young career, highlighted by his 87 tackles and an interception against Kansas City's Matt Cassel. In his five years with the Browns, Rubin has played in 72 games, starting 50 of them. His career totals are 9.0 sacks, 227 total tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 interception, 3 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery.
On March 19, 2015 Rubin signed a one-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks released incumbent starting defensive tackle Tony McDaniel during training camp, giving Rubin a great opportunity at a starting job. In Week 4 against the Cincinnati Bengals, Rubin got his first sack as a Seahawk. In Week 11 vs the Pittsburgh Steelers, Rubin got an interception in a 39-30 victory.
On March 7, 2016, he signed a three-year contract.
On September 2, 2017, Rubin was released by the Seahawks.
- ↑ "Ahtyba Rubin". Iowa State Cyclones Website. Archived from the original on November 19, 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20081119081118/http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48388&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=324886&Q_SEASON=2007.
- ↑ "Ahtyba Rubin Recruiting Profile", Rivals.com, https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Ahtyba-Rubin-44674
- ↑ "2008 NFL Draft Profile: Ahtyba Rubin", Sports Illustrated, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/56271.html
- ↑ "Ahtyba Rubin Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=73491&draftyear=2008&genpos=DT
- ↑ "Browns sign 5 draft picks to 4-year contracts", FOXNews.com, July 22, 2008, http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jul22/0,4670,FBNBrownsSignings,00.html
- ↑ Ridenour, Marla (November 30, 2009), "Injuries plague Browns: Rogers needs surgery, Pool suffers concussion against Bengals", Beacon Journal, http://www.ohio.com/sports/78188502.html
- ↑ Farnsworth, Clare (March 20, 2015). "Nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin signs with Seahawks" (in en). Seattle Seahawks. http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Nose-tackle-Ahtyba-Rubin-signs-with-Seahawks/41ae6d58-a9d1-400d-8ce0-878b9cf1f53e.
- ↑ Condotta, Bob (March 8, 2016). "Seahawks reach agreement with DT Ahtyba Rubin to three-year deal". http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-reach-agreement-with-dt-ahtyba-rubin-to-three-year-deal. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- ↑ Drovetto, Tony (September 2, 2017). "Seahawks Make Three More Trades, Set 53-Man Roster". Archived from the original on October 9, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20171009153425/http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/09/02/seahawks-make-three-more-trades-set-53-man-roster.
- ↑ DiLalla, Aric (September 15, 2017). "Broncos sign NT Ahtyba Rubin". http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-sign-NT-Ahtyba-Rubin/6fc1a9f7-7107-4961-829e-38f56c406dc4.
- ↑ DiLalla, Aric (October 17, 2017). "Broncos release Ahtyba Rubin, place Billy Turner on IR". https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/broncos-release-ahtyba-rubin-place-billy-turner-on-ir-19592335.
- ↑ Conway, Kelsey (October 19, 2017). "Falcons sign defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin waive defensive lineman Taniela Tupou". http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/transactions/article-1/Falcons-sign-defensive-tackle-Ahtyba-Rubin-waive-defensive-lineman-Taniela-Tupou-/5b3134b3-dfc0-4c65-8f89-be7b4f9a2694.
- ↑ "Raiders sign DT Ahtyba Rubin and DT Frostee Rucker". June 12, 2018. https://www.raiders.com/news/raiders-sign-dt-ahtyba-rubin-and-dt-frostee-rucker.
- ↑ "Raiders Claim DT Gabe Wright; Place DT Ahtyba Rubin on IR". August 15, 2018. https://www.raiders.com/news/raiders-claim-dt-gabe-wright-place-dt-ahtyba-rubin-on-ir.