Berry with the Lions in 2011
|Date of birth:June 25, 1988|
|Place of birth: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania|
|Undrafted in 2010|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Detroit Lions ( 2010– 2011)|
|Roster status: 6-game injured list|
|CFL status: International|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
Aaron Douglas Berry, Jr. (born June 25, 1988) is a Canadian football cornerback for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He was signed by the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Pittsburgh. Berry has also played for the New York Jets.
Berry's career at the University of Pittsburgh began in 2006 as a key contributor on special teams as well as a reserve cornerback. He played in all 12 games and recorded his first two tackles and two pass breakups in a game against UCF.
As a sophomore in 2007, Berry played in all 12 games and started the last 9 games of the season. Throughout the season, Berry recorded 19 tackles and a team-high of two interceptions and tied for second on the team with five PBUs. One of his best performances on special teams and in the secondary was in the win against Syracuse. He averaged 17.7 yards on six punt returns and his 53-yard return at the end of the third quarter put Pitt at the Orange 13. Berry also had four tackles and broke up three passes including Syracuse's desperation pass to the Pitt 5 with one second left. Berry also had strong performances against Cincinnati, where he intercepted a deep ball at the Pitt 17 with 2:58 left, as well as two key tackles and a four-yard sack at Michigan State.
As a junior in 2008, Berry was named All-Big East second team. He accumulated 41 tackles, one sack, three interceptions, a team-high of 10 PBUs and 76 yards on 14 punt returns (5.4 avg). One of his three interceptions came in the Sun Bowl vs. Oregon State and matched his career high of three PBUs. He had one interception in the Rutgers game and another against Connecticut that he ran back for 52 yards. In the 2008 game against Notre Dame, Berry had a career high nine tackles and followed it up the next game with 7 vs. Iowa. Berry had a four-yard sack against Buffalo, a season-long punt return for 24-years vs. Syracuse, and three PBUs against Louisville.
During his senior year, Berry was a Jim Thorpe Award candidate. While struggling with a shoulder injury, Berry had a combined total of 31 tackles with 25 solo and 6 assisted tackles. He had one interception during his senior year and returned it for 14 yards.
In 2010, Berry was signed by the Lions as an undrafted free agent. He was cut by the Lions in 2012 on July 23. Though Berry was not with any team as of August 20, 2012, he was still suspended for 3 games. If any team were to sign him, he would not be available until Week 4.
New York Jets
Berry signed a two-year contract with the New York Jets on October 1, 2012. During his first season with the Jets, Berry played in seven games and contributed two tackles. He was placed on injured reserve on December 27, 2012.
- Copeland, Kareem (1 October 2012). "Aaron Berry signs two-year deal with New York Jets". National Football League. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121004101016/http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000068271/article/aaron-berry-signs-twoyear-deal-with-new-york-jets. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Vorkunov, Mike (28 December 2012). "Muhammad Wilkerson will play against Bills, does not have concussion". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 31 December 2012. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/12/muhammad_wilkerson_will_play_a.html. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Associated Press (27 July 2013). "Jets place CB Aaron Berry on IR, sign RB Chad Spann". Fox News. Archived from the original on 11 August 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130811030755/http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/07/27/jets-place-cb-aaron-berry-on-ir-sign-rb-chad-spann/. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Browns sign Aaron Berry". Cleveland Browns. June 2, 2014. Archived from the original on June 3, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140603023830/http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Browns-sign-Aaron-Berry/b6847a27-b837-4a28-9b54-62c830da55e6. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Alper, Josh. "Browns get Marlon Moore back from suspension". Pro Football Talk. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/browns-get-marlon-moore-back-from-suspension/. Retrieved 10 September 2014.