|2010 Kansas Jayhawks football|
|Conference||Big 12 Conference|
|2010 record||3–9 (1–7 Big 12)|
|Head coach||Turner Gill (1st season)|
|Offensive coordinator||Chuck Long (1st season)|
|Defensive coordinator||Carl Torbush (1st season)|
|Home stadium||Memorial Stadium|
|2010 Big 12 football standings|
|#20 Nebraska xy||6||–||2||10||–||4|
|#18 Missouri x||6||–||2||10||–||3|
|#6 Oklahoma xy†||6||–||2||12||–||2|
|#13 Oklahoma State x||6||–||2||11||–||2|
|#19 Texas A&M x||6||–||2||9||–||4|
|Championship: Oklahoma 23, Nebraska 20|
|† – BCS representative as champion |
x – Division champion/co-champions
y – Championship game participant
As of January 11, 2011 • Rankings from AP Poll
The 2010 Kansas Jayhawks football team (variously "Kansas", "KU", or the "Jayhawks") represented the University of Kansas in the 2010 NCAA Division I FBS football season which was the school's 121st season. The Jayhawks played their home games on Kivisto Field at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas.
The team was led by first year head coach Turner Gill and was a member of the Big 12 Conference in the North Division. The team captains were senior running back Angus Quigley, senior offensive lineman Sal Capra, senior defensive end Jake Laptad, senior linebacker Justin Springer, and senior cornerback Chris Harris.
The Jayhawks finished the season 3–9, 1–7 in Big 12 play and did not play for bowl game for the second consecutive year.
Former head coach Mark Mangino resigned from his position on December 3, following a 7-game losing streak and internal investigation into his conduct. Turner Gill, former head coach at the University at Buffalo was named the new head coach on December 13, 2009. Gill will bring with him Carl Torbush as his defensive coordinator and Chuck Long as his offensive coordinator. None of Mangino's assistant coaches or strength and conditioning staff were retained by Gill.
|Turner Gill||Head Coach||Buffalo||Mark Mangino|
|Chuck Long||Offensive Coordinator||Ed Warinner|
|Carl Torbush||Defensive Coordinator||Mississippi State||Clint Bowen/Bill Miller|
|Aaron Stamm||Special Teams||Buffalo||Louie Matsakis|
|Aaron Stamm||Tight Ends||Buffalo||Brandon Blaney|
|Darrell Wyatt||Wide Receivers||Southern Miss.||David Beaty|
|Buddy Wyatt||Defensive Line||Texas A&M||Tom Sims|
|Carl Torbush||Linebackers||Mississippi State||Bill Miller|
|Chuck Long||QBs||Ed Warinner|
|Vic Shealy||Cornerbacks||Richmond||Je'Ney Jackson|
|Robert Wimberly||Safeties||Buffalo||Clint Bowen|
|Reggie Mitchell||Running backs||Illinois||Louie Matsakis|
|J.B. Grimes||Offensive Line||Mississippi State||John Reagan|
|Reggie Mitchell||Recruiting Coordinator||Illinois||Brandon Blaney|
|John Williams||Strength & Conditioning||South Carolina State||Chris Dawson|
|Joe Dailey||On-Campus Recruiting Coord.||Buffalo|
Expand the list below to see the full recruiting class.
|September 4||6:00 PM||North Dakota State*||FCS||L 3–6||48,417|
|September 11||11:00 AM||No. 15 Georgia Tech*||FSN||W 28–25||46,907|
|September 17||7:00 PM||at Southern Miss*||ESPN||L 16–31||30,211|
|September 25||6:00 PM||New Mexico State*||FCS||W 42–16||46,719|
|October 2||11:00 AM||at Baylor||FSN||L 7–55||35,405|
|October 14||6:30 PM||Kansas State||FSN||L 7–59||47,561|
|October 23||6:00 PM||Texas A&M||FSN||L 10–45||44,239|
|October 30||1:00 PM||at Iowa State||L 16–28||46,485|
|November 6||1:00 PM||Colorado||W 52–45||40,851|
|November 13||6:00 PM||at No. 9 Nebraska||FSN PPV||L 3–20||85,587|
|November 20||11:00 AM||No. 10 Oklahoma State||FSN||L 14–48||39,261|
|November 27||11:30 AM||vs. No. 15 Missouri||FSN||L 7–35||55,788|
|2010 Kansas Jayhawks football roster|
|(starters in bold)|
North Dakota State Bison
- See also: North Dakota State Bison football
Turner Gill's debut game for the Jayhawks ended in dismay as the FCS Bison team defeated Kansas 6-3. Although Kansas took a lead in the first quarter with a field goal, the Bison scored 2 field goals, 1 in the first half and the other in the second, to knock off Jayhawks. Kansas had 3 turnovers in the game, causing the Bison to lead in time of possession. 
#15 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
|#15 Yellow Jackets||7||10||0||8||25|
Trying to rebound after the loss against the FCS Bison, Kansas was considered an underdog against the heavily favored, 15th ranked, Georgia Tech. Redshirt Freshman Jordan Webb took over the starting QB role and true Freshman James Sims was introduced at running back. In the first half, Kansas scored two touchdowns, but the Yellow Jackets were ahead by a field goal at halftime, 17-14. However, in the third quarter, Kansas would score an unanswered touchdown to take the lead at 21-17. In the first drive of the fourth quarter, the Jayhawks would score yet another touchdown. However, Georgia Tech scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter to try to pull off a comeback. Then, with a minute to play in regulation, Georgia Tech's drive stopped with a turnover on downs that ended the Yellow Jackets' hopes of winning. The final would be 28-25, with Kansas winning. This would be the first time since 2008 that Kansas defeated a ranked opponent, defeating the then #11 Missouri Tigers 40-37. 
New Mexico State
Awards and honors
- Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week (week 2) - 15 tackles, 1 sack against #15 Georgia Tech
- Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week (week 4)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- Mangino Resigns As Kansas Head Football Coach Archived December 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Gill Named Head Football Coach At Kansas Archived 2009-12-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Buffalo’s Turner Gill will be Kansas’ next football coach
- KU football assistants on their way out
- KU's Laptad Named To Preseason Hendricks Award Watch List
- KU's Biere Named To Mackey Award Watch List
- 2010 Schedule Archived 2013-07-03 at the Wayback Machine
- "North Dakota State Bison vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on September 11, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100911022831/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302472305. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on September 15, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100915154627/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302542305. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Kansas Jayhawks vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on September 21, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100921103810/http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302602572. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "New Mexico State Aggies vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100927203739/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302682305. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Kansas Jayhawks vs. Baylor Bears Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101005032522/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302750239. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Kansas State Wildcats vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on October 17, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101017174203/http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302872305. Retrieved October 14, 2010.
- "Texas A&M Aggies vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302962305. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Kansas Jayhawks vs. Iowa State Cyclones Box Score". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303030066. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Colorado Buffaloes vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on November 9, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101109103751/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303102305. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Kansas Jayhawks vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on November 17, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101117222302/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303170158. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Oklahoma State Cowboys vs. Kansas Jayhawks Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on December 1, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101201083522/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303242305. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Kansas Jayhawks vs. Missouri Tigers Box Score". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on December 1, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101201192455/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303310142. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "North Dakota State kicks Kansas for first win over Big 12 member". Espn.com. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100911022929/http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302472305. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Kansas rebounds from humiliating loss, knocks off Ga. Tech". Espn.com. Archived from the original on 14 September 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100914034906/http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302542305. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- KU’s Justin Springer named Big 12 defensive player of the week
- Beshears Tabbed As Big 12 Special Teams Player Of The Week