|2009 Washington State Cougars football|
|2009 record||1–11 (0–9 Pac-10)|
|Head coach||Paul Wulff (2nd season)|
|Offensive coordinator||Todd Sturdy|
|Defensive coordinator||Chris Ball, Jody Sears|
|Home stadium||Martin Stadium|
|2009 Pacific-10 football standings|
|#11 Oregon †||8||–||1||10||–||3|
|† – BCS representative as champion |
Rankings from AP Poll
The 2009 Washington State Cougars football team represented Washington State University in the 2009 NCAA Division I FBS football season. Head coach Paul Wulff was in his second season, and the team played its home games on campus at Martin Stadium in Pullman, Washington. The Cougars finished the season with a record of 1–11 (0–9 Pac-10).
|September 5||3:00 PM||Stanford||FSNNW||L 13–39||22,386|
|September 12||4:00 PM||vs. Hawaii*||L 20–38||42,912|
|September 19||2:00 PM||SMU*||W 30–27 OT||22,319|
|September 26||7:15 PM||at No. 10 USC||FSN||L 6–27||75,216|
|October 3||6:15 PM||at No. 25 Oregon||CSNNW||L 6–52||57,378|
|October 10||2:00 PM||Arizona State||L 14–27||26,010|
|October 24||1:30 pm||at California||L 17–49||54,738|
|October 31||4:30 PM||vs. No. 25 Notre Dame*||NBC||L 14–40||53,407|
|November 7||12:30 PM||at No. 21 Arizona||FCS||L 7–48||50,242|
|November 14||2:00 PM||UCLA||FCS||L 7–43||25,661|
|November 21||2:00 PM||No. 20 Oregon State||L 10–42||16,167|
|November 28||3:30 PM||at Washington||FSNNW||L 0–30||68,697|
Toby Gerhart rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns, and redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Luck made his collegiate debut by throwing for 193 yards and a touchdown pass to Chris Owusu as Stanford defeated Washington State in Pullman. The Cardinal dominated the first half, but as the second half began, the Cougars took the early momentum, driving 80 yards and scoring on a 5-yard pass from Kevin Lopina to Jared Karstetter. However, Owusu answered immediately for the Cardinal with an 85-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to keep the game out of reach.
In the first quarter, passes from Kevin Riley to Jahvid Best and Marvin Jones gave Cal a 14-point lead. Jeremy Ross returned Washington State punter Reid Forrest's 42-yard punt for a 76-yard touchdown. After Nico Grasu kicked a 24-yard field goal to put the Cougars on the scoreboard, Riley completed another pass for Cal for another touchdown, this time to Shane Vereen.
Jahvid Best rushed for 61 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter to give the Bears a 32-point lead and again in the third quarter with a 2-yard run. The final Cal score came in the fourth quarter when Vereen rushed for a 7-yard touchdown.
Nick Tausch kicked a 29-yard field goal to put Dotre Dame on the scoreboard. Then Jimmy Clausen passed to Duval Kamara for a 7-yard touchdown in the first quarter. In the second quarter, Golden Tate scored on a 16-yard run for a touchdown and Robert Hughes rushed for a 1-yard for another touchdown.
The Bruins scored on their first offensive play after an interception, a Kevin Prince to Taylor Embree touchdown pass.
- ↑ "Stanford Cardinal vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. September 5, 2009. Archived from the original on February 21, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100221101003/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292480265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Hawaii Warriors vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. September 12, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292550265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Southern Methodist Mustangs vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. September 19, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292620265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. USC Trojans Box Score". ESPN. September 26, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292690030. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. Oregon Ducks Box Score". ESPN. October 3, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292762483. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. October 10, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292830265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. California Golden Bears Box Score". ESPN. October 24, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292970025. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Box Score". ESPN. October 31, 2009. Archived from the original on April 14, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100414020417/http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293040087. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. Arizona Wildcats Box Score". ESPN. November 7, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293110012. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "UCLA Bruins vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. November 14, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293180265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Oregon State Beavers vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. November 21, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293250265. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Washington State Cougars vs. Washington Huskies Box Score". ESPN. November 28, 2009. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293320264. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Frosh Luck leads Stanford past Washington State". ESPN.com. September 5, 2009. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292480265. Retrieved September 6, 2009.