- January 4 – Rose Bowl (2005 season):
- February 5 – Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl XL at Ford Field in Detroit, defeating the Seattle Seahawks 21–10.
- March 14 - former San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees signs a 6-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints after the Miami Dolphins were suggested by medical staff to not sign Brees due to a career-threatening shoulder injury he suffered at the end of the 2005 season. After Brees had immediate success and broke several records in New Orleans, this signing is believed by many as the greatest free agency signing in NFL history.
- August 19 - Barrow High School played the first organized football game in the Arctic against Delta Junction High School.
- MVP of Super Bowl XL is Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.
- Reggie White, Troy Aikman, John Madden, Warren Moon, Harry Carson, and Rayfield Wright are elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.