Template:Infobox college sports team season Template:1988 Ivy League football standings The 1988 Penn Quakers football team was an American football team that represented the University of Pennsylvania during the 1988 NCAA Division I-AA football season. Penn won a share of the Ivy League championship, its fifth of the past six years.
Penn's 6–1 conference record tied with Cornell atop the Ivy League standings. The Quakers outscored Ivy opponents 182 to 75. Penn's only loss was to its co-champion, Cornell, in the last week of the year.
Before its last two games, Penn appeared in the weekly top 20 national rankings, at No. 19 in the poll released November 8 and at No. 14 in the poll of November 15. Following the loss to Cornell, Penn dropped out of the rankings, and was not ranked at season's end.
|September 17||at Dartmouth||W 33–27||7,917|||
|September 24||Bucknell*||W 38–35||9,456|||
|October 1||Columbia||W 24–10||11,640|||
|October 8||at Brown||W 10–0||1,400|||
|October 15||Colgate*||W 33–22||9,700|||
|October 22||Yale||W 10–3||28,279|||
|October 29||at Princeton||W 31–23||24,500|||
|November 5||at No. 18 Lafayette*||W 31–17||3,500|||
|November 12||Harvard||W 52–13||37,612|||
|November 19||at Cornell||L 6–19||18,000|||
- "Football Fact Book: All-Time Year-by-Year". Philadelphia, Pa.: University of Pennsylvania. p. 158. https://pennathletics.com/sports/2019/8/25/football-fact-book.aspx. Retrieved June 20, 2020.
- "Football Fact Book: All-Time Team Captains". Philadelphia, Pa.: University of Pennsylvania. p. 98. https://pennathletics.com/sports/2019/8/25/football-fact-book.aspx. Retrieved June 20, 2020.
- "Year-by-Year History". Ivy League Football Media Guide. Princeton, N.J.: Ivy League. 2017. pp. 32-33. https://ivyleague.com/documents/2017/8/23/3_Year_By_Year_History_2017.pdf?id=2998. Retrieved July 10, 2020.
- Reinert, Bob (September 18, 1988). "Penn Gives Dartmouth the Slip, 33-27". Boston Sunday Globe (Boston, Mass.): p. 55. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57450940/1988-dartmouth-penn/.
- Missanelli, M.G. (September 25, 1988). "Quakers Outlast Bucknell, 38-35". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 9-D. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57452520/1988-bucknell-penn/.
- Missanelli, M.G. (October 2, 1988). "Penn Extends Columbia's Streak of Defeats to 44". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 13-E. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57460439/1988-columbia-penn/.
- Juliano, Joe (October 9, 1988). "Defense Does Its Part as Penn Smothers Brown, 10-0". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 11-E. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57468579/1988-brown-penn/.
- Juliano, Joe (October 16, 1988). "Penn Survives Colgate Rally and Wins, 33-22". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 1-E. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57482987/1988-colgate-penn/.
- Juliano, Joe (October 23, 1988). "Defense Carries Quakers; Penn Sends Yale to a 10-3 Defeat". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 1-C. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57485095/1988-penn-yale/.
- Knobelman, Bob (October 30, 1988). "Penn Cracks Tigers". The Home News (New Brunswick, N.J.): p. F1. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57487321/1988-penn-princeton/.
- Larimer, Terry (November 6, 1988). "Slide Continues for Lafayette with a 31-17 Defeat by Penn". The Morning Call (Allentown, Pa.): p. C3. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57502318/1988-lafayette-penn/.
- Concannon, Joe (November 13, 1988). "Harvard Punished by Penn". Boston Sunday Globe (Boston, Mass.): p. 81. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57503804/1988-harvard-penn/.
- Juliano, Joe (November 20, 1988). "Penn Is Denied a Perfect Ending". The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pa.): p. 1-D. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/57504692/1988-cornell-penn/.