|1986 Freedom Bowl|
|3rd Freedom Bowl Game|
|Date||December 30, 1986|
|MVP||Gaston Green (UCLA RB)|
|National anthem||BYU Cougar Marching Band|
|Halftime show||BYU Cougar Marching Band|
| Freedom Bowl
The 1986 Freedom Bowl was a college football bowl game played on December 30, 1986. It was the 3rd Freedom Bowl Game. The UCLA Bruins defeated the BYU Cougars 31-10. UCLA tailback Gaston Green was named the Player Of The Game. He ran for a record 266 yards, 2nd only at the time to Curtis Dickey who ran for 276 in the Hall of Fame Bowl. This is still the PAC-10 record for Most Net Rushing Yards in a bowl game, and fourth highest in NCAA bowl history.
The BYU Cougars were the 2nd place team in the WAC.
The UCLA Bruins were tied for 2nd in the Pac-10.
The weather was overcast and 68 degrees.
- UCLA — Green, one-yard run. Franey converts.
- UCLA — Franey, 49-yard field goal.
- UCLA — Green, 79-yard run. Franey converts.
- UCLA — Karl Dorrell, 13-yard pass from Green. Franey converts.
- BYU — Bruce Hansen three-yard run. Chitty converts.
Future NFL players Edit
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- UCLA Football Media Guide (PDF Copy available at www.uclabruins.com)