|1980 Alabama Crimson Tide football|
Cotton Bowl champion
|1980 record||10–2 (5–1 SEC)|
|Head coach||Bear Bryant (23rd season)|
|Home stadium||Bryant–Denny Stadium|
|1980 SEC football standings|
|#1 Georgia †||6||–||0||–||0||12||–||0||–||0|
|#19 Mississippi State||5||–||1||–||0||9||–||3||–||0|
|† – Conference champion |
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1980 Alabama Crimson Tide football team (variously "Alabama", "UA" or "Bama") represented the University of Alabama in the 1980 NCAA Division I-A football season. It was the Crimson Tide's 86th overall and 47th season as a member of the Southeastern Conference (SEC). The team was led by head coach Bear Bryant, in his 23rd year, and played their home games at Bryant–Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa and Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama. They finished season with ten wins and two losses (10–2 overall, 5–1 in the SEC) and with a victory over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl.
A 6–3 loss to Mississippi State ended Alabama's school record 28-game winning streak and all-time SEC record 27-game conference winning streak, and was Alabama's first loss to Mississippi State since 1957. It also cost the Tide a share of the SEC championship, the first time since 1976 they failed to win the SEC. Despite surrendering 35 points to Ole Miss, the Alabama defense still allowed only 98 points for the entire season.
|September 6||1:30 p.m.||Georgia Tech*||No. 2||W 26–3||78,410|
|September 20||1:30 p.m.||at Ole Miss[A 1]*||No. 1||W 59–35||50,686|
|September 27||1:30 p.m.||Vanderbilt||No. 1||W 41–0||60,210|
|October 4||1:30 p.m.||Kentucky||No. 1||W 45–0||78,400|
|October 11||12:30 p.m.||at Rutgers*||No. 1||W 17–13||58,107|
|October 18||2:30 p.m.||at Tennessee||No. 1||ABC||W 27–0||96,748|
|October 25||1:30 p.m.||No. 20 Southern Miss*||No. 1||W 42–7||60,210|
|November 1||1:30 p.m.||at Mississippi State||No. 1||L 3–6||50,891|
|November 8||1:30 p.m.||LSU||No. 6||W 28–7||60,210|
|November 15||2:30 p.m.||No. 6 Notre Dame*||No. 5||ABC||L 0–7||78,873|
|November 29||1:30 p.m.||vs. Auburn||No. 9||W 34–18||78,549|
|January 1, 1981||1:00 p.m.||vs. No. 6 Baylor*||No. 9||CBS||W 30–2||74,281|
- Source: Rolltide.com: 1980 Alabama football schedule
|1980 Alabama Crimson Tide football team roster|
- McNair, Kirk (February 7, 2006). "SEC football - With the death late last week of legendary Mississippi Football Coach John Vaught, the question was raised as to why Alabama and Coach Paul Bryant had so few meetings against the Rebels and Vaught". 'BamaMag (Scout.com). http://www.scout.com/college/alabama/story/497709-sec-football?s=14. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "1980 Alabama football schedule". RollTide.com. University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. Archived from the original on December 2, 2011. https://www.webcitation.org/63dbQSj7C?url=http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-results-archive.html. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "1980 Season Recaps" (PDF). RollTide.com. University of Alabama Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/alab/graphics/docs/80-m-footbl-recaps.pdf. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "2012 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Record Book" (PDF). Tuscaloosa, Alabama: University of Alabama Athletics Media Relations Office. 2012. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160304115208/http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/alab/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012FootballRecordBook.pdf. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
<ref> tags exist for a group named "A", but no corresponding
<references group="A"/> tag was found