- January 1 – Rose Bowl (1967 season):
- January 14 Super Bowl II – Green Bay Packers won 33–14 over the Oakland Raiders. After the game, Packer head coach Vince Lombardi announced his retirement as head coach of the Packers.
- The Cincinnati Bengals were formed
- November 17 – The Oakland Raiders score two consecutive touchdowns in the last minute of the fourth quarter to beat the New York Jets 43–32, in the infamous "Heidi Game".
- Baltimore Colts 34–0 Cleveland Browns in 1968 NFL championship game.
- New York Jets 27–23 Oakland Raiders in the 1968 AFL championship game.
O.J. Simpson, running back for the USC Trojans, was the overwhelming choice for the Heisman Trophy, with 2,853 points. Second was Leroy Keyes, running back for Purdue, with 1,103 points, followed by Terry Hanratty (QB-Notre Dame), Ted Kwalick (TE-Penn State) and Ted Hendricks (DE-Miami).