|1963 New Mexico Lobos football|
|Conference||Western Athletic Conference|
|1963 record||6–4 (3–1 WAC)|
|Head coach||Bill Weeks (4th season)|
|Home stadium||University Stadium|
|1963 WAC football standings|
|Arizona State †||3||–||0||–||0||8||–||1||–||0|
|† – Conference champion |
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1963 New Mexico Lobos football team represented the University of New Mexico in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) during the 1963 college football season. In their fourth season under head coach Bill Weeks, the Lobos compiled a 6–4 record (3–1 against WAC opponents), finished second in the WAC, and outscored opponents, 177 to 143.
The team's statistical leaders included Stan Quintana with 221 passing yards, Bucky Stallings with 553 rushing yards, and Claude Ward with 181 receiving yards.
Schedule[edit | edit source]
|September 28||Texas Western*||W 23–7||26,836|||
|October 5||Utah||L 6–19|
|October 12||at Utah State*||L 14–47|
|October 19||at New Mexico State*||L 12–13||12,491|||
|October 26||Montana*||W 24–6|
|November 2||at Colorado State*||W 25–0|
|November 9||Wyoming||W 17–6|
|November 16||Air Force*||L 8–30|
|November 30||BYU||W 26–0|
|December 7||at Arizona||W 22–15||17,000|||
References[edit | edit source]
- "1963 New Mexico Lobos Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/new-mexico/1963-schedule.html. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "2018 New Mexico Football Media Guide". University of New Mexico. 2018. p. 141. https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/unm.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/8/30/2018_Media_Guide.pdf. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "1963 New Mexico Lobos Stats". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/new-mexico/1963.html. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "Hot Lobos Open Football Season With 23-7 Win: 26,836 See UNM Grind Out Yards On Leaky Defense". Albuquerque Journal: p. C1. September 29, 1963. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/24986213/hot_lobos_open_football_season_with/.
- LeRoy Bearman (October 20, 1963). "Aggies' Second Half Rally Sinks Lobos, 13-12: Lobo Long TD Runs Only Offensive Show In Third Loss In Row". Albuquerque Journal: p. C1. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/24986137/aggies_second_half_rally_sinks_lobos/.
- LeRoy Bearman (December 8, 1963). "Lobos Stop Arizona to Win WAC Crown". Albuquerque Journal: p. F1. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/24986040/lobos_stop_arizona_to_win_wac_crown/.