|1950 Stanford Indians football|
|Conference||Pacific Coast Conference|
|1950 record||5–3–2 (2–2–2 PCC)|
|Head coach||Marchmont Schwartz (6th season)|
|Home stadium||Stanford Stadium|
|1950 PCC football standings|
|#5 California †||5||–||0||–||1||9||–||1||–||1|
|† – Conference champion |
Rankings from AP Poll
The 1950 Stanford Indians football team represented Stanford University in the 1950 college football season. Stanford was led by sixth-year head coach Marchmont Schwartz. The team were members of the Pacific Coast Conference and played their home games at Stanford Stadium in Stanford, California.
Coming off the successful 1949 season in which a talented group of sophomores, led by quarterback Gary Kerkorian and end Bill McColl, had the Indians a game away from the Rose Bowl, Stanford was expected to have an excellent season and was ranked 7th in the first-ever preseason AP Poll. But after starting 4–0, the team would only win one more game and tie twice, the second tie coming in the Big Game, in which the team rallied to tie undefeated and Rose Bowl-bound rival California. Coach Schwartz resigned following the season.
|September 23*||San Jose State||#7||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA (Rivalry)||W 33–16|
|September 30*||San Francisco||#7||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||W 55–7|
|October 7||vs. Oregon State||#8||Multnomah Stadium • Portland, OR||W 21–7|
|October 14*||Santa Clara||#6||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||W 23–13|
|October 21||at UCLA||#6||Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum • Los Angeles, CA||L 7–21|
|October 28||Washington||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||L 7–21|
|November 4||USC||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||T 7–7|
|November 11||Washington State||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||W 28–18|
|November 18*||#3 Army||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||L 0–7|
|November 25||at #4 California||California Memorial Stadium • Berkeley, CA (53rd Big Game)||T 7–7|
|*Non-Conference Game. #Rankings from AP Poll.|
Players drafted by the NFL
|Bruce Van Alstyne||End||9||100||San Francisco 49ers|
|Bob White||Halfback||16||184||San Francisco 49ers|
|Russ Pomeroy||Tackle||18||211||Chicago Cardinals|
- "1950 Preseason AP Football Poll". CollegePollArchive.com. http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=120. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- Migdol, Gary (1997). Stanford: Home of Champions. Champaign, Illinois: Sports Publishing LLC. pp. 112–114. ISBN 1-57167-116-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=HUaungEACAAJ&pg=PA112#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- "Stanford Game-by-Game Results; 1950–1954". College Football Data Warehouse. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/pac10/stanford/yearly_results.php?year=1950. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "Schwartz out at Stanford". Miami News. December 30, 1950. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mLsyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5usFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1453,5037624. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "1951 NFL Draft". http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/1951.htm. Retrieved August 5, 2014.