|1947 National Football League season|
|East Champions||Philadelphia Eagles|
|West Champions||Chicago Cardinals|
| National Football League seasons
Major rule changesEdit
- A fifth official, the Back Judge, is added to the officiating crew.
- When a team has less than 11 players on the field prior to a snap or kick, the officials are not to notify them.
- An illegal use of hands penalty will be called whenever a defensive player uses them to block the vision of a receiver during any pass behind the offensive team's line.
- During an unsuccessful extra point attempt, the play becomes dead as soon as failure is evident.
- Roughing the kicker will not be called if he kicks after recovering a loose ball or fumble on the play.
- All teams are required to use prescribed standard yardage chains, down boxes, and flexible shaft markers.
Starting in 1947, the NFL teams played a 12 game schedule rather than 11 games. The twelfth game proved to be crucial for the Steelers, Eagles, Cardinals and Bears. In the Eastern Division, Pittsburgh took a half-game lead over Philadelphia after a 35-24 win in Week Five. On November 30, the Eagles won the rematch, 21-0, to take a 7-3-0 to 7-4-0 lead. The same day, the Cardinals lost to the Giants, 35-31, while the Bears beat Detroit 34-14; the 7-3-0 Cards were a game behind the 8-2-0 Bears in the Western Division.
In Week Twelve, the Cardinals beat the Eagles, 45–21. Pittsburgh beat Boston 17–7, while the Bears lost to the Rams, 17–14. The result was that the Steelers finished at 8–4, and the 7–4 Eagles had to win their last game. The Cardinals and Bears were both at 8–3, and the Western title would go to the winner of their December 14 season-closer. A crowd of 48,632 turned out at Wrigley Field to watch. The Cardinals won the game, 30–21, and the right to host the championship. The same day, Philadelphia beat Green Bay, 28–14, to force a playoff with Pittsburgh.
W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT= Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against Note: The NFL did not officially count tie games in the standings until 1972
|New York Giants||2||8||2||.200||190||309|
|Green Bay Packers||6||5||1||.545||274||210|
|Los Angeles Rams||6||6||0||.500||259||214|
See: 1947 NFL playoffs
- Home team in capitals
Eastern Division Playoff Game
- Philadelphia 21, PITTSBURGH 0
NFL Championship Game
- CHI. CARDINALS 28, Philadelphia 21
- NFL Record and Fact Book (ISBN 1-932994-36-X)
- NFL History 1941-1950 (Last accessed December 4, 2005)
- 1947 season in details
- Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League (ISBN 0-06-270174-6)
1947 NFL Season
|Eastern Division||Western Division|
|New York||Chicago Cardinals|
| 1947 NFL Draft • NFL Championship|
Related: 1947 AAFC Season