|1947 Fordham Rams football|
|Head coach||Ed Danowski (2nd season)|
|Offensive scheme||T formation|
|Home stadium||Polo Grounds|
|1947 Eastern college football independents records|
|No. 4 Penn State||–||9||–||0||–||1|
|No. 7 Penn||–||7||–||0||–||1|
|No. 20 Columbia||–||7||–||2||–||0|
|No. 11 Army||–||5||–||2||–||2|
The 1947 Fordham Rams football team was an American football team that represented Fordham University as an independent during the 1947 college football season. In its second season under head coach Ed Danowski, the team compiled a 1–6–1 record and was outscored opponents by a total of 245 to Rams offense scored 44.
After a winless 1946 season, Fordham boosters raised money for 30 new scholarships. In addition, the school made several additions to its coaching staff, including the hiring of Vince Lombardi. Lombardi was responsible for coaching the freshman team. In addition, he helped the varsity team implement the T-Formation on offense. Lombardi did this for a salary of $3,500 a year. Athletic director Jack Coffey stated that he thought Lombardi would one day become head coach of the varsity team.
|October 3||at Georgetown||L 7–40||12,500|||
|October 11||No. 12 Penn State||L 0–75||12,000|||
|October 18||at Rutgers||L 6-36||10,000|||
|October 25||at Merchant Marine||W 12–0||9,000|||
|November 1||at Boston University||L 6–26||2,703|||
|November 15||at Lafayette||L 0–7||5,900|||
|November 22||at Holy Cross||L 0–48||7,000|||
|November 29||vs. NYU||T 13–13||27,000|||
The freshman team was Vince Lombardi's first experience as a head coach above the high school level. Many of the freshmen on the team were in their twenties. Three of the freshmen were players that Lombardi had coached in high school: Dick Doheny, Billy White and Larry Higgins. Twenty-three-year-old freshman Herb Seidell was elected as captain of the freshman team. He had served in the Navy with Leo Paquin, who was one of Lombardi’s teammates on Fordham’s Seven Blocks of Granite. Dick Doheny was the starting quarterback. One of the highlights for the team was defeating Rutgers freshman team by a score of 12-0. The Rams held the Scarlet Knights to negative yards, while the Rams gained 400 yards on the ground. After a 33-0 defeat of New York University’s freshman team, the New York Herald Tribune stated that Lombardi should feel proud for a job well done. Other members in the media were very optimistic about Lombardi because the varsity team finished the season with a record of 1-6-1.
- "1947 Fordham Rams Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/fordham/1947-schedule.html. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Maraniss, David (1999). When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi. Simon & Schuster. p. 89. ISBN 978-0-684-84418-3.
- "Georgetown Leading Fordham at Capital". The Daily News (New York City): p. 26. October 4, 1947. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28372185/georgetown_leading_fordham_at_capital/.
- Hy Turkin (October 12, 1947). "Penn St., 75-0; Worst Ram Loss". The Daily News (New York City): p. 102. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28447082/penn_st_750_worst_ram_loss/.
- Joe Burns (October 19, 1947). "Stubborn Fordham Gridders Beaten by Rutgers, 36-6". The Sunday Times (New Brunswick, NJ): p. 1. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28222104/stubborn_fordham_gridders_beaten_by/.
- "Fordham Defeats Kings Point, 12-0". The Daily News (New York City): p. 95. October 26, 1947. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27991047/fordham_defeats_kings_point_120/.
- Jack Barry (November 2, 1947). "Only 2703 See B.U. Batter Fordham, 26-6". The Boston Globe: p. 30. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28282611/only_2703_see_bu_batter_fordham_266/.
- Dana Mozley (November 16, 1947). "Lafayette Nips Rams In 1st Quarter, 7-0". The Daily News (New York City): p. 102. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28381171/lafayette_nips_rams_in_1st_quarter_70/.
- "HC, 48-0; Rams Gain ONE Yard". The Daily News (New York City): p. 103. November 23, 1947. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27970115/hc_480_rams_gain_one_yard/.
- Joe Trimble (November 30, 1947). "Blocked Kick Gives NYU 13-13 Tie With Fordham". The Daily News (New York City): p. 89. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28020864/blocked_kick_gives_nyu_1313_tie_with/.
- Maraniss, David (1999). When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi. Simon & Schuster. p. 92. ISBN 978-0-684-84418-3.
Template:Fordham Rams football navbox