|1920 New Mexico Lobos football|
|Head coach||Roy W. Johnson (1st season)|
|Home stadium||University field|
The 1920 New Mexico Lobos football team represented the University of New Mexico as an independent during the 1920 college football season. In their first season under head coach Roy W. Johnson, the Lobos compiled a 3–3 record.
Johnson was hired to take charge of the school's physical education department in August 1920. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan earlier in the year and had played at the center position on the 1919 Michigan Wolverines football team.
In the fall of 1920, the school adopted the nickname "Lobos" for their athletic teams. The U.N.M. Weekly published an editorial explaining the selection:
Eureka! At last, a real name for the university teams. A name with a wallop in both fists -- a name which will make you sit up and take notice.
In this wild west we must have a name fitting to our surroundings. The terror of the mountains and prairie, the king of all the western lands is that feared and hated animal -- the Lobo. Who has heard his terrible war cry without the cold shivers of fear running down his back?
The lobo is respected for his cunning, feared for his prowess, and is the leader of the pack. It is the ideal name for the varsity boys who go forth for the glory of the school."
|October 16||at Colorado College||L 3–42|
|October 30||Fort Bliss||W 12–0|
|November 6||Texas Mines||W 67–0|
|November 11||New Mexico Military Institute||W 9–7|
|November 20||at Arizona||Tucson, AZ (rivalry)||L 7–28|
|November 25||at New Mexico A&M||Las Cruces, NM (rivalry)||L 7–14|||
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "2018 New Mexico Football Media Guide". University of New Mexico. 2018. p. 139. https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/unm.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/8/30/2018_Media_Guide.pdf. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- ↑ "State University Fills Faculty Positions With Seven Strong Additions". Albuquerque Journal: p. 4. August 3, 1920. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/25346162/state_university_fills_faculty/.
- ↑ "New Name Is Found For Varsity Teams; They're Lobos Now". Albuquerque Journal: p. 2. October 2, 1920. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/25350673/new_name_is_found_for_varsity_teams/.
- ↑ "Grant Mann To Lead 1920 Football Team". The Evening Herald: p. 1. December 20, 1919. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/25345984/grant_mann_to_lead_1920_football_team/.
- ↑ "Crippled University Team Defeated by Aggies, 14 to 7". Albuquerque Journal: p. 4. November 26, 1920. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26317186/crippled_university_team_defeated_by/.