|1916 Idaho football|
|Head coach||Wilfred Bleamaster (1st season)|
|Home stadium||MacLean Field|
Template:1916 college football records The 1916 Idaho football team represented the University of Idaho in the 1916 college football season. Idaho was led by first-year head coach Wilfred Bleamaster and played as an independent; they joined the Pacific Coast Conference six years later in 1922. Idaho had three home games in Moscow on campus at MacLean Field, with none in Boise.
Idaho dropped a third consecutive shutout to Washington State in the Battle of the Palouse, falling 0–31 at Rogers Field in Pullman. Seven years later, the Vandals won the first of three consecutive, their only three-peat in the rivalry series.
Idaho opened with five losses, then won three road games in six days for a 3–5 record.
Schedule[edit | edit source]
|October 7||Oregon Agricultural||L 0–26|
|October 14||Gonzaga||L 6–21|
|October 20||at Whitman||Walla Walla, WA ||L 14–26|
|November 4||at Washington State||L 0–31|
|November 18||Montana||L 13–20|
|November 25||vs. Albion Normal||Burley, ID ||W 39–0|
|November 27||at Idaho Tech||Pocatello, ID ||W 32–0|
|November 30||at Utah Agricultural||W 27–15|
- The Little Brown Stein trophy for the Montana game debuted 22 years later in 1938
- Games were played on Friday (Whitman at Walla Walla), Monday (Idaho Tech at Pocatello),
and Thursday (Utah Agricultural at Logan on Thanksgiving)
References[edit | edit source]
- "Conference to handle east-west games in future; Idaho admitted". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 1, sports. December 11, 1921. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=cwpWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=veEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6138%2C8722435.
- "Kelley quits as coach of Idaho". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 14. June 9, 1922. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=lPBVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=suEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4203%2C5373555.
- "OAC crushes Idaho eleven". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 1, part 3. October 8, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YeNVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=guADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6766%2C6706392.
- "Gonzaga University win great victory over Idaho -- score 21-6". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 1, part 3. October 15, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FeAUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=meADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5885%2C1154560.
- "Whitman defeats Idaho, 26 to 14". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 16. October 21, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HeAUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=meADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6721%2C2188197.
- "Washington State wallops Idaho U". Spokane Daily Chronicle ((Washington)): p. 18. November 6, 1917. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=iMRXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LPQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5471%2C2271476.
- "Montana defeats Idaho, 20 to 13". Spokesman-Review ((Spokane, Washington)): p. 1, part 3. November 19, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=S98UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=k-ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=4351%2C499445.
- "Men of Bleamaster gather in first two trip games, scoring 71 ponts". University Argonaut. (University of Idaho) ((Moscow, Idaho)): p. 1. November 29, 1916. https://digital.lib.uidaho.edu/cdm/ref/collection/argonaut/id/1168?_ga=2.202378712.892048363.1512214368-1761179966.1510545196.
- "Aggies play Idaho on Logan gridiron". Deseret News ((Salt Lake City, Utah)): p. 9. November 30, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FzJNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pkcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2093%2C2413686.
- "Aggies lose final game of season to heavy Idaho team". Deseret News ((Salt Lake City, Utah)): p. 11. December 1, 1916. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GDJNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pkcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6419%2C2505333.
[edit | edit source]
- Gem of the Mountains: 1918 University of Idaho yearbook (spring 1917) – 1916 football season
- Go Mighty Vandals – 1916 football season
- Idaho Argonaut – student newspaper – 1916 editions