|1914 Toronto Argonauts season|
|Head Coach||Billy Foulds|
|Home Field||Rosedale Field|
|Playoff Finish||Won 6th Grey Cup|
|Previous season||Next season|
The 1914 Toronto Argonauts season was the 31st season for the team since the franchise's inception in 1873. The team finished in second place in the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union with a 5–1–0 record after losing the season series to the Hamilton Tigers, who finished in first place with the same record. The Argonauts would play the Tigers in a two-game playoff series and after tying the first game, they would win the second, becoming the IRFU champions. After defeating the Hamilton Rowing Club in the Eastern Final, the Argonauts advanced to the 6th Grey Cup, which was their third appearance in the championship game in four years. The Argonauts won their first national championship in franchise history over the Toronto Varsity Blues by a score of 14-2. They became the first team to win the Grey Cup after finishing second in their union, after all previous winners had finished first in their respective leagues.
Regular season[edit | edit source]
Standings[edit | edit source]
|Montreal Football Club||6||2||4||0||62||108||4|
|Ottawa Rough Riders||6||0||6||0||39||162||0|
Schedule[edit | edit source]
|1||Oct 10||Hamilton Tigers||Rosedale Field||L 20–5||0–1–0|
|2||Oct 17||@ Hamilton Tigers||Hamilton AAA Grounds||W 7–5||1–1–0|
|3||Oct 24||@ Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||Percival Molson Memorial Stadium||W 23–13||2–1–0|
|4||Oct 31||Ottawa Rough Riders||Rosedale Field||W 30–2||3–1–0|
|5||Nov 7||@ Ottawa Rough Riders||Lansdowne Park||W 47–4||4–1–0|
|6||Nov 14||Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||Rosedale Field||W 33–3||5–1–0|
Postseason[edit | edit source]
|IRFU Playoff #1||Nov 21||Hamilton Tigers||Hamilton AAA Grounds||T 9–9|
|IRFU Playoff #2||Nov 29||Hamilton Tigers||Rosedale Field||W 11–4|
|Eastern Final||Dec 2||Hamilton Rowing Club||Rosedale Field||W 16–14|
|Grey Cup||Dec 5||Toronto Varsity Blues||Varsity Stadium||W 14–2|
Grey Cup[edit | edit source]
|Toronto Varsity Blues||0||0||2||0||2|
References[edit | edit source]
- "All-Time Coaching". Toronto Argonauts. http://www.argonauts.ca/page/all-time-coaching. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Toronto Argonauts Stadium History". Toronto Argonauts. http://www.argonauts.ca/page/stadium-history. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- 2009 Canadian Football League Facts, Figures & Records, Canadian Football League Properties/Publications, Toronto, Ontario, ISBN 978-0-9739425-4-5, p.294
- "The Toronto Argonauts’ 1914 Season". http://stats.cfldb.ca. http://stats.cfldb.ca/team/toronto-argonauts/1914/.
- "Ottawa Rough Riders All-Time Scores". Capital Region Football. http://capitalregionfootball.info/index.php?pr=Rider_Game_Results. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "1914 Grey Cup Recap". Canadian Football League. http://cfl.ca/page/his_greycup_recap1914. Retrieved 2012-11-01.