The 1896 Auburn Tigers football team represented Auburn University in the 1896 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association football season. It was the Tigers' fifth season. The team was led by head coach John Heisman, in his second year, and finished with a record of three wins and one loss (3–1 overall, 3–1 in the SIAA). The team's captain was Reynolds Tichenor.
The Georgia–Auburn game was a 12 to 6 victory by Georgia to finish its first undefeated season under Pop Warner. The game featured Tichenor's brilliant punt returns.
- Source: 1896 Auburn football schedule
- ↑ F. Loyd Tate; P. G. Clark; G. M. Holley et al., eds. (1897) (Annual), Glomerata 1897, 1, Nashville, TN: Brandon Printing, p. 126, archived from the original on 2011-07-19, https://web.archive.org/web/20110719141748/http://diglib.auburn.edu/cgi-bin/gloms/docviewer.pl?did=%2F1897&seq=126&frames=0&view=100, retrieved 16 March 2011
- ↑ Triumph Books (2006). Echoes of Georgia Football: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. https://books.google.com/books?id=cxziB-y0NQcC&pg=PT91&#v=onepage.
- ↑ (PDF) 2009 Auburn Football Media Guide. Auburn, Alabama: Auburn Media Relations Office. 2009. p. 182. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/aub/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/09-fb-mg-sec5.pdf.
- ↑ "1896 Auburn University Football Schedule". Auburn University Athletics. http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/aub-m-footbl-sched-1896.html. Retrieved December 20, 2012.