|1887 Indiana Hoosiers football|
|Head coach||Arthur B. Woodford (1st season)|
The 1887 Indiana Hoosiers football team was an American football team that represented Indiana University Bloomington during the 1887 college football season. In its first season of intercollegiate football, economics professor Arthur B. Woodford served as the school's football coach, and fullback Harry Wise was the team's captain. Indiana played one game, arranged by the Indianapolis Athletic Club as part of a series of "rugby games of foot ball" intended to establish the college championship of Indiana. Indiana was matched against the team from Franklin College with the game set for October 15, 1887. In a game played at Athletic Park in Indianapolis, Franklin won, 10–8. The roster of Indiana's 1887 football team included Thomas M. Honan, who later served as the State of Indiana's Attorney General, W. E. Jenkins, who became the Indiana University librarian, and George B. Davis, of Greensburg, Indiana.
|October 15, 1887||Franklin College||L 8–10|
- ↑ "Rugby Foot Ball Games". The Indianapolis News: p. 3. September 30, 1887. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3816301/rugby_foot_ball_games/.
- ↑ "The Franklins Win". The Indianapolis News: p. 4. October 17, 1887. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3816313/the_franklins_win/.
- ↑ "Indiana Yearly Results (1887–1889)". College Football Data Warehouse. David DeLassus. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/i/indiana/yearly_results.php?year=1887. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- ↑ "A proud tradition and history for the Indiana Hoosiers". collegefootballhistory.com. Archived from the original on September 1, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130901135850/http://www.collegefootballhistory.com/hoosiers/history.htm. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- ↑ "The "I" Men of Indiana - A Review of Our Athletic History". Indiana University Alumni Quarterly. October 1914. p. 416. https://books.google.com/books?id=logmAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage.
|This college football season article is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|